Same Motor Mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same Motor Mounts?

Hi there guys. I have a 99 protege. I went to the junk yard recently and found a 2001 Mazda protege. I was wondering if the motor mounts were the same. Same with radiator. I don't have a lot of cash to go buy it new. If anyone could respond it would be helpful. Thanks in Advance.

I think the 1.8L and 2.0L engines use the same mounts. Transmission side has to have the same trans obviously, auto/manual. No idea about the 1.6L engine.
    Keep in mind motor mounts are a common failure weak point on our cars, so I'd wager any junkyard parts aren't going to be any good for long.
    Amazon vendors sell a set for just over $120 if you're game. I put a set in a few months ago and so far so good.

Don't know about the radiator. Try crosschecking the radiator at autozone.com or other parts sites. Load each year model vehicle and look up the part. I would think if it's the same exact part number, you're probably good to go.
    2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Thanks. I'll pull em out next week. Motor mounts on mine are worn out.

Comment

just wondering...how can you tell that the motor mounts are wore out? i was told mine were loose last year by a garage, never got around to checking them...

Comment

Originally posted by dadio4 View Post
          just wondering...how can you tell that the motor mounts are wore out? i was told mine were loose last year by a garage, never got around to checking them...
          visual inspection is the best way to determine the condition of the mounts. the mounts themselves are steel and aren't the problem, its the rubber bushing, but you will see the term "mount" used interchangeably. the rubber used was engineered with holes/voids to allow better NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). check the rubber bushing for tears and other signs of weakness.

No.3 mount leaked dark fluid
          the easiest one to look for under the hood is the "No.3 engine mount" on the right side. the rubber in this mount separates to accomodate engine placement and load, so don't worry if you see what appears to be a tear. but the bushing is fluid filled, so if you see dark liquid stains that originate from the mount, and is verified that your powersteering isn't leaking, that is a good bet your mount is torn.

the next one under the hood is the rear mount, up against the firewall. you will need to look from the side with the aid of a light. there is a bolt that goes thru the middle. on my car the bolt and ferule had ripped through the rubber and took a good amount of rubber with it.

the transmission mount is below the airbox, near the radiator overflow reservoir on the left side. this one is a little hard to inspect while its bolted in. but this mount appears to tear the least as not much movement occurs at that end of the engine.

the easiest one to replace is the "No.2 engine mount," front of the car under the radiator. it is also the first to go. the bushing here has a center ferule connected to 2 "arms" of rubber as i call it. these arms tear and it'll look as if the ferule is resting on the bottom of the mount.

more pictures to come, the attached parts diagram will show you what the mounts look like, they are parts 1, 2, 7, and 11
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X