TheDanny, My 1988 Mercury Tracer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheDanny, My 1988 Mercury Tracer

I have posted here before but never started a work log. Quick run down of what I had, what I've done and what I plan on doing.

I purchased a 1988 Mercury Tracer two years ago. B.C. car, very minimal rust (no holes) and besides your basic maintainance she only needed one thing. A heater core . Well why not replace the dash with a 323LX dash (entire parts car was only $200) and cluster while I had this one out, so I did. Last winter I aquird a 1989 323 GT parts car, and removed the motor and drive train for a direct swap into my car. The GT also came with a full GTX interior. Everything from the GT was installed before last May when I put the car back on the road.

Its also been quite a while since I have worked on my car besides basic maintainance. So this winter while my car is hibernating (away from the salt and snow), I plan on the following list to be completed by May.

-Turbo: Hybrid VJ14 hot/ VJ11Cold side, more aggressing veins on the turbine and I believe Cherry Turbos said 80% waist gate dump.
    -2.5" Turbo back exhaust with custom CAT/Resonator/Muffler
    -HKS piggy-back ECU
    -HKS Manual Boost Controller
    -After market intercooler and Custom Oil Cooler
    -Fidanza light weight flywheel
    -CM FX300 Clutch kit
    -MSD ignition and upgraded plugs

Non Power mods

-Finish my paint job (just needs a few more coats)
    -touch up some very very light body work
    -shorten bumpers
    -replace baffles in valve cover, as I have oil getting to my intake manifold (or install the catch can I made months ago and never got around to installing )

Should be a good build.
    Last edited by TheDanny; 12-13-2012, 10:31 PM.
    1988 Mercury Tracer. (aka Ford Laser)

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Sub'n. Waiting for pics.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

waiting on some pics as well .. nice to see another local

Comment

Dec 2010: This is a photo that was sent to me from the previous owner. He didn't have any photos in his add
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	1234308
        There isn't much to look at. Stock Mercury Tracer interior, the cluster didn't have a tachometer. You can see the little black box in the passenger footwell. That was the owners attemping to MacGyver an R.V. heater into the car, rather then replacing the heater core

Name:	2.JPG
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	1234309
        May 2011: Prepping for bodywork and paint

Name:	3a.jpg
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1234310
        More Prep

Name:	3b.jpg
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1234311
        1 Gallon of Tremclad + 1 container of mineral spirits (varsol) + 4" Foam Rollers and 24 hours of labor not including drytime

Name:	3c.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1234312
        June 2011: H&R Sport Springs mounted on KYBgR2's

Name:	4.JPG
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	1234313
        Feb 2012: Almost ready for the swap, just have to give her some TLC. Thouched up any of the spots that may have had some corrosion and a good degreasing.

Name:	519.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1234314
        All Clean

Name:	7b.JPG
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1234315
        Time to move it over.

Name:	6.JPG
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	1234316
        Installed

Name:	8.JPG
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	1234317
        June 2012: Final coat on the bumpers. They used to be unpainted worn and weathered grey

Name:	10.JPG
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	1234318
        Also painted and installed the front swaybar before I installed the front bumper

Name:	8b.jpg
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1234319
        New wheels and tires to finish her off for the season. Tires are 195/55/R15 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec's

Name:	012.JPG
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	1234320
        Oct 2012: I figured I would get a shot right after I cleaned her for the last time this season. I took her off the road three days later

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	1234321
        Last edited by TheDanny; 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

sigpic

"If you do not try you cannot fail, but neither can you succeed.....however....If you dont have any clue what your doing, please, ask for help."

The above quote does not in any way imply that I know everything, but rather that I too need to ask for help sometimes

Comment

Looks good. I thought about doing the roller paint job. Came out good as far as I can see.
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

The only regret I have is that I didn't have enough time to do it as thorouly as I wanted to. It was a little too cold and much to damp when I started. I should have left the paint for three to four days between painting and wetsanding. It wasn't until about three months later that the paint actually hardened up (due to the extent you have to thin the paint to minimise orange peal). This is the second season with the same 6 or so coats. Hasn't had a final wet sand or pollish yet. Wasn't going to spend ten hours sanding her when I was planning on adding more.

sigpic

Comment

If i wanted a rear disc brake conversion, what would I have to order? Im told a capri rear disc swap is common for BF's. Which model and year of Capri do I need? I want to keep my 114.3 bolt pattern and stock disks sizes for the 15" wheels.

...and Merry Christmas.

sigpic

Comment

July 2012ish

Went under this bridge in St. Thomas on my way to drop my turbo off at Cherry Turbos. Had to stop for a photo on my way back

Name:	TheDanny_StThomas.jpg
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	1234375
                Last edited by TheDanny; 12-26-2012, 12:14 AM. Reason: Date

sigpic

Comment

Ive laughed @ the golf a few times seeing around town

BF looks good

Comment

Thanks. I love and respect my car more than anything. The Harliquin isn't mine. Not my flavour of car if you know what I mean. I rent from his parents.

sigpic

Comment

I see you wanna do the vj14/vj11 hybrid.... Just want to let I have a vj11 in good condition that has a cracked back housing for sale.

Comment

I took my vj14 to a company in St.Thomas Ont. He had a cold side from a vj11 already, fair price plus all the work to the waistgate and manifold porting. Thanks though. If im satisfied with this one, then I might PM you down the road when I start building my other B6T (if you still have it at that point of course).

sigpic

Comment

Capri rear disc is direct bolt on swap...no need to change the proportioning valve either.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDanny View Post
                            Thanks. I love and respect my car more than anything. The Harliquin isn't mine. Not my flavour of car if you know what I mean. I rent from his parents.
                            Lookin good on the tracer! and those VW's are pretty rare apparently.
                            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                            VF10 powered!
                            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Direct swap means brand new parts, sweet! Cheers. Yes, rare but rubbish, well atleast in the condition this one is in.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X