Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successfully Converted My BF GT To Coilovers and Saved 28lbs - Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for the comments and feedback. I will say that I truly enjoyed this project and it went very smoothly.

After a week of driving, the car feels great.
    Yasin

Comment

That is an awesome setup. The H&R's I bought years ago just don't sit right on the car and I think it as to do with them being spec'd for the Capri. I'm thinking of ditching the KYB/H&R setup that has never been driven for this one. Any particular place to get the Tokico's cheap?
      88 323 GT - 03 Protege5 - 07 Mazda 5

Comment

you will definitely dislike having failing rises like that everywhere. look for "tender springs" or "helper springs" to take up the deceased area . . . . . . . . . . .
        surfers paradise car rentals

Comment

Car looks absolutely fantastic ! Thanks for the great write-up.....

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments!
            Yasin

Comment

Where did you get those drilled rear rotor? I just hope your reply isn't Corksport because that is a dead end for me, unless you or anybody know where else I can purchase a pair for my bf.
              Last edited by mazkam; 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM.

Comment

*UPDATE*, I was getting some road noise transmitted through the car from the rear and figured it may be coming from the newly installed rear coilovers, specifically through the top hat that was supplied with the kit. This billet aluminum top hat supplied with the Ground Control Kit sits below or circumferentially on the factory top mount which I felt was not the most optimal set-up, see the picture below, it is like one hat resting on top another hat:

I contacted the good folks at Ground Control and traded a few emails regarding providing a solution to the top hat and hopefully address the noise issue, they were able supply an alternative billet aluminum top hat that has a inner recessed section or cup for the OEM top mount to fit inside as shown below, which I feel is a far superior design:

I also made rubber insulators to absorb the vibration from flat pieces of rubber that I purchased from Home Depot, this turned out trick, two per side:

Fitted on the coil over:

After making the above described changes, the road noise is now all gone and the car is back to normal.

Ground Control were fabulous to work with and provided excellent customer service. Thumbs Up to them!
                Yasin

Comment

nifty fix!!!
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

You're the real trend setter with the bf 323 sedan suspension setup. Keep up the meticulous work.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                      nifty fix!!!
                      Originally posted by mazkam View Post
                      You're the real trend setter with the bf 323 sedan suspension setup. Keep up the meticulous work.
                      Thanks guys!

Mazkam - Gotta keep the car fun and handling with the best of them

Comment

I must say great job car looks amazing I was wondering where did you find the Tokico Gold shocks I'm looking for another set If you can give me a link I would really appreciate it Thanks

Comment

Nice! Ride looks good and cool DIY project with the rubbers.

Comment

@slownrusty Good work! I am ready to make the switch over to coilovers. I will be going this route. Do you get much body roll when turning hard?

Comment

Originally posted by mia_jdm_323gt View Post
                              I must say great job car looks amazing I was wondering where did you find the Tokico Gold shocks I'm looking for another set If you can give me a link I would really appreciate it Thanks
                              I actually purchased them from an eBay seller.

Originally posted by gogoprotege View Post
                              Nice! Ride looks good and cool DIY project with the rubbers.
                              Thanks!

Originally posted by estebond008 View Post
                              @slownrusty Good work! I am ready to make the switch over to coilovers. I will be going this route. Do you get much body roll when turning hard?
                              Not at all, the car corners extremely well. I am happy with this set-up. I drive the car everyday (35+ miles) in Houston traffic and it drives and handles as expected.

Comment

Do you have a model number for those Tokico shocks? Please and thanks!

'88 GT
                                '88 GTX
                                '85 Toyota Cressida 5-Speed
                                '88 323 GT
                                '88 323 GTX

Comment

Working...
                                X