X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The probe harness needs 4 wires to be spliced

Use the stock wiring to get the motor to crank over

Install the KL harness

Use your wiring diagram to locate the power wire for the internal coil in the dist, it needs 12v on/start power.... Start at the connector, it should be the thickest of the 3 wires but use your diagrams to confirm

The injectors need 12v on/start power, if memory serves me right it's a white wire with red stripe, this wire should go to both injector connectors.... Use your wiring diagram to confirm you have right wire

The sensors need 12v on/start power as well, mainly the heated O2's, VRIS selonoids etc. if memory serves me right it's a red w/black stripe wire that feeds all the sensors power (any 5v sensor will get their power from the ECU) bug again use your wiring diagrams to confirm this

Lastly the ECU needs a constant 12v source, I can't remember the wire color off hand but use your wiring diagram to locate it

On the stock fuse box you can add in a jumper so the fuel pump turns on/off with the key (Durwood can give specifics on that better then me)

Once that is done it should fire up

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Ah so you're the guy who bought that? I Sasha Craigslist. And was so tempted. I'm right behind kings island. Welcome to cp
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Thanks. Only thing is I actually don't have the old ecu. Thought I did but I guess not. What are my options in this case?

@Turpro Haha yeah hopfully I can get it running.

Comment

If you're running obd1 I have a known working kl Ecuador sittin in my tool box. If you need it let me know.
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Is that a kl ecu? Sorry, don't really know much about wiring/ecu's etc. I have the probe ecu just not the protege one haha. Idk if the guy I bought it from still has it or if he sold it but it's not in the back like I thought.

Comment

Really hate auto correct. Ecu is what I have. It will work with the 92-95 probe, 626, and mx6 kl 5 spd motors. Idk what wiring harness you're using for your swap though
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

You don't need the stock protege ECU to run the engine

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Oh alright. So if I keep the protege harness in and just splice in those four wires it'll run? I was thinking you were going off Durwood had said before about keeping the old ecu in.

Comment

@Turpro Yeah, I am using the OBD1. Thanks. I do have the probe ecu. Durwood had said it would be fine to keep the protege ecu in and run a few things off of that but I don't have the old ecu. I guess I'm good if I can just splice those wires. Thanks for the help I appreciate it

Comment

Durwood left the stock ECU in to try having the speedo work

Comment

I kept it for the dash, speedometer, and a couple body functions it controls. You don't NEED it.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I was planning on getting the dakota tach interface for the tacho but will the speedo, dash, etc. work if I can splice those into the probe harness?

Comment

The Dakota Digital unit will definitely get your tach working. As for the speedometer, in the Proteges with ABS, the speedo runs off a wheel sensor. I don't think the Mazdaspeed has ABS, but I might be mistaken. If not, the speed signal may be able to be used from the Probe ecu, possibly straight.from the sensor, but I doubt it. It won't hurt anything to try, just check your speed against a GPS.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Welcome!
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Cool, thanks. How about wiring diagrams for the Probe. Can anyone help me on that front? I can't seem to find any good ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X