Foofighter - 98 Protege ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foofighter - 98 Protege ES

Recently got a really nice ES not too long ago. It's pretty much stock with the exception of an Flowmaster exhaust and cold air intake. It has power everything and everything works great, including ac. For now, I'm going to fix a few cosmetic things and clean it up before diving in to the build, but first, I wanna fix the rust before it gets any worse.

Here's the rust. Never repaired rust before, so this should be interesting. I'm going to get a few quotes to repair it, but I'm expecting it to cost over $800.

Comment

Congrats on the score. Tough finding an es.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I got some quotes on the rust and it looks like it's gonna cost just under $800 with paint. I'm a little hesitant though since one body shop didn't want to repair it since he explained most rear quarter panel repairs will begin to rust after only a year. I know it's not going to be a permanent repair, but a year?

Comment

I got some clear corners and cleaned up the headlights, and they look really good. It would look cleaner with jdm headlights, but this will do for now. I also got a spare grill and experimented cutting out the center piece. Might try putting in black mesh to help cover up the radiator and bumper guard. I REALLY want to get rid of those chrome wheel covers, but the steelies underneath look even worse, and I haven't been able to repaint them because of the winds. Oh well

Comment

Can't believe I missed this thread. Great find. And fix the rust quick, you don't want me posting what my LX looks like, haha.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

the ONLY way to have a long lasting rust repair is to remove all the rusted metal .. ALL of it .. weld in fresh metal , treat it , and eliminate the dumb assed lip that catches all the dirt/salt/moisture that created the rust in the first place

Comment

Want a bha hood scoop I have laying around ? It's oem Jdm

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how much would you want for the scoop?

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Idk 75 plus shipping or so.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Not as bad as I expected.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Bo, thanks, but I'm not a fan of hood scopes unless they're actually functional. I'm am looking for other jdm parts, mainly the front bumper. They're not hard to find, but people are asking too much for them at the moment.

Comment

I got some LX wheels and put the rusty steelies on my other protege. The older Protege had some green 15 inch wheels I'm gonna sell. The look of the car went from rice to beater real quick lol.

Comment

Wow, it's been a while since I did an update. Finally got some JDM tail lights! now I need a JDM front bumper and JDM head lights and I'll have it looking the way I want it. I also got some Sprint lowering springs, but haven't installed them (trying to find a set of good aftermarket shocks). The rust will hopefully be taken care of by the end of summer. Plans have slowed since I just bought a 91 323 a few days ago, and all my time and attention has went to that. On top of that, parts a hard to come by. I'm currently selling the white 94 Protege seen in earlier posts. As of right now, I basically have 3 Proteges (yeeesh!)

Comment

its good to see someone doin up a bh chassis, i think with all the jdm kit, they look real nice.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Working...
                              X