Clear All

For the love of all mazdas, where is Starter Relay located

which one is it if its here , pls
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fusebox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1269982

have you pulled your starter to have it tested @ a parts store???

the starter solenoid/relay is usually built into it.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

If its a Manuel check the clutch safety switch.
      91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

year model trim level and motor??

Comment

Sorry for no info at the beginning,

Car is mazda protege 2000 1.8 ES automatic 140,000 miles.

I pulled starter together with solenoid, went to auto store works fine, reason for asking for the relay is , yesterday I got into my car, turn the key , everything is on all the lights bells and whistles were on , and car makes on click sound right where the glove box is, starter doesn't turn, just a click, tried 10 times , same thing click click click,
          After 10 times just caught up and started immediately, no struggling , no whining sound. Battery and other components are fine. It seems that there is some kinda starter relay (im still not sure if its under the glove box in ECU area, but there where is the clicking sound,) that sends the signal to starter solenoid, and there should be the problem.
          In the fuse box there are just so many relays , and most of them have multiple functions, so im thinking that starter relay is going bad, because all other starting components are fine.
          I checked all the connections that are part of starting system also.
          If anyone please know anything about relays please give me some idea. After that car started 10 times without the problem. I looked at our service manual, but there isnt much about starter relay,.
          IF anyone can name the relays on the picture I posted would be great.
          I can see what its says on the fuse box , but relays support multiple functions, I thought at first that horn relay also serves as starter relay.

Thanks for any help

Comment

Did you ever figure out what was going on? Also, where is the starter? I think I see it under the intake, but I'm not certain. What did you have to take off to get to it? Thanks!

Comment

Its not starter, i think that it could be worn out ignition switch (where you put the key to turn on the car). It was happening again for 2 days straight a while ago, and it hasn't come back for a month now. When i turn key on it only clicks once, i figured if i put key and turn it on and hold it for 5 seconds it catches eventually and it starts. Its very annoying issue.

Comment

I know it's not your starter, just being selfish I've got a 99 protege, and trying to replace it. I found it tonight, but have no effn clue how I'm going to get to the the top bolt. Any advice?

Comment

if its automatic there is one bolt that u can access from under the car , and one big bolt u can access from above, socket and extension is a must , and a mirror can help u with finding it. move battery and intake booth to gain more space, its pretty easy from there, of course u need to unhook both cables that are connected to starter

Comment

Thanks! I've got a manual, but will rip off the intake to see what I can find.

Comment

So the only difference between an auto and manual (I believe) is that there were two bolts on the top. It took me forever to find them, only because I didn't realize they came in the opposite way they did from the bottom. I'll post some pics when I get to my computer tonight. Thanks again.

Comment

both starters have 3 bolts. usually the automatic starters have a little bit extra oomphf to get the motor turning. i run an automatic starter in mine
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                        X