'88 Mazda 323 GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
    Yes fairly. When they were selling them they were in the 450.00 range for just the cat back then add for the cat delete track pipe.
    Cool, oh I need to get a photo up but I have one of the old Rod Millen letters with all the parts, and I think prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire0310 View Post
      Ah Ok.

Never heard a stock GTX, but love the way my HKS sounds. Kinda reminds me of the BroSpeed/Brola Miata exhaust. Deep "soft" tone without an rasp or high pitch.
      There isn't much to hear with a stock GTX exhaust system.. My car still has the OEM muffler on it. It's quiet.

Comment

I took LiRR on her first trip (not going for parts) from NYC to BOS. It was a smooth 220 miles. The HKS exhaust is sounds conservative during normal driving and really expresses itself around 50+ Mph.

With the tank full, I got 15 miles per gallon @ 70Mph. In all essence, I can drive a 150 miles before I can fill up the tank. It begins showing "E" when I have less than 4 gallons in the tank. I know she's running rich. You can smell it and the exhaust tip is now black. On my second fill up, I did a quick pretrip coolant level and oil level is ok. Tires are fine (as they are brand new). Upon start up and normal driving, she doesn't smoke whatsoever.

Once you start driving, she eventually gives you heat. (The fan is wired to keep running as long as the key is on)

Today, I observed the RR caliper is sticking in speeds less than 10 mph and I'm hearing a whining when I go into boost.

I gotta locate the computer and check to see if it's not chipped. I also plan on putting new rotors, steel braided lines and remanufactured calipers all around and new hoses and clamps. You guys have a preference on calipers?

That's all for now,
        Nick

'88 GT
        '88 GTX
        '85 Toyota Cressida 5-Speed
        '88 323 GT
        '88 323 GTX

Comment

The caliper sticking & the fan running all the time will be your major MPG hit's being subpar opt temp is actually detrimental to the engine as well. it can also alter AFR.
          anxious to see if you have a chipped ecu in there & how things turn out after the caliper & lines replacement
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I think you have issues other than the fan running constant. You should have been seeing at least 24-26 mpg on a cruise like that if all is as it should. Even with the fan on a highway speed the air is going thru the radiator regardless. Check the wire to sensor on the tstat housing. Likely broken. O2 sensor good? Doubt the ecu is at fault chipped or not...unless you had the right foot thru the floor the whole way. Sounds like open loop. Start with checking all of the temp sensors and the O2. No CEL on? I have a g force ecu that is mapped for rally and that one does run a bit rich but still gives the good mpg on cruise.

Comment

Yes the CEL is on. I will have to check the codes as well. The O2 sensor was replaced two weeks ago.

'88 GT
              '88 GTX
              '88 323 GT
              '88 323 GTX

Comment

3,000 miles later, I must say that she drives EXCEPTIONALLY well. On the highway, 80 mph seems like her favorite spot to cruise at. In the city, she doesn't like stop and go movements. Since her brand new all season tires, I've changed brakes, rotors, calipers all around and gave her an oil change (Mobil One 10W-40) along with some Synthetic Lucas Oil. Alike most turbo cars, she's idles nice and quiet and the stock turbo reads 10 lbs on the HKS boost gauge. The HKS cat back exhaust gives her a nice deep tone as well when driving.

She's a head turner and the most common question I get asked is "Where you get that car from?" After 2 years of ownership, I am STILL very pleased of my purchase.

Next plans for the car is to get a strut tower bar, sway bars, upgrade the radiator, intercooler piping and maybe change the front mount intercooler it already has.

That's all for now

'88 GT
                '88 GTX
                '88 323 GT
                '88 323 GTX

Comment

What are your plans for the front mount and piping. I find installing a front mount neatly behind the stock bumper to be a huge challenge - to keep it neat, unless you go with a custom made IC.

Also which radiator are you going to install?

Glad you are enjoying the car, that's awesome. Whats happening with the GT?

Comment

Installed the GTAe grill, bumper, glass sunroof & EDM door cards

'88 GT
                    '88 GTX
                    '88 323 GT
                    '88 323 GTX

Comment

i like those door cards alot!
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

It is nice that those insert panels come off so the interior of the GTX can be transformed to say leather when the time comes that the original fabrics have seen their day. A sad day for sure as the original interior is part of the allure of the car. Personally I do not care for that pattern from the Euro/JDM cars.
                        Last edited by azgtx; 12-31-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Looks like that steering wheel has seen some ****. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah they're nice!

'88 GT
                            '88 GTX
                            '88 323 GT
                            '88 323 GTX

Comment

Originally posted by Pox View Post
                              Looks like that steering wheel has seen some ****. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                              I only discovered last weekend the steering wheel and shift knob are MOMO. Car hasn't been driven in 14 years. (Not because of me)

'88 GT
                              '88 GTX
                              '88 323 GT
                              '88 323 GTX

Comment

Installed a NRG Quick Release

Updated pic of the car as well

'88 GT
                                '88 GTX
                                '88 323 GT