No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more winterfying checked off the list. Swapped the JDM bumper for the stock USDM piece. The lip on the JDM needs some repairs as well as one of the fog light housings.

Speaking of fog lights, apparently this is how they've been wired for who knows how long.

Anyone know what style bulb these Cibie lights use? There's no identifying marks on the bulbs or housings.

Comment

whoazer. crazy bulb connector
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

And this was the good side. I found "H1" stamped on the underside of the base of the bulb, but none of the connectors I've seen look like they'll fit. I'll have to see if a parts store can match it up to something.

I've also got winter tires and steelies ordered, but probably won't get here in time for my trip to NYC to pick up my girlfriend.

Comment

hope for the warmer weather to reach you. we've been enjoying mid 40's & up to lower 60's this pastweek
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Thanks, I hope so too. It hasn't snowed yet, but it has been getting cold enough to allow the little Z5 to spin the BFG Sport Comp-2s on dry pavement. I can barely spin them in the rain in summer.

Comment

Small update. Just installed a JL Audio MBT-RX bluetooth receiver so I can get rid of the aux cord. One less cord to worry about dangling around the cabin. I have an aux adapter for my JVC headunit that uses RCA inputs so I needed a bluetooth receiver that had RCA outputs. The MBT-RX fit the role perfectly. The RCA cables were long enough to reach from the AUX adapter down the side of the center stack and along the side of the floor console. The bluetooth unit came with a 3M adhesive pad on the back so I used that to mount it to the back of the armrest cubby, the outside of the cubby but inside the console if that makes sense, I'll post a pic later. The little access door on the back of the console under the cupholder is in just the right spot and the right size to reach in and replace the BT fuse if I ever need to. The power and ground wires needed to be extended and I had an old 2-wire trailer harness that I was able to cut in half and connect to itself to extend the wires. I used the amp turn on lead from the headunit to supply power to the BT receiver so it turns on and off with the radio and grounded it to one of the bolts near the shifter. The unit will remember the last connected device and connect automatically as long as BT is on on the device.

All this because my new phone doesn't have a headphone jack so I can't charge and plug it into the AUX cord at the same time. Now I can.

Comment

buy a phone with a headphone jack..... lol
                (have to give you some **** )
                do you have any pictures of the install. i wouldn't mind seeing

Comment

Been a few months and a lot has happened in that time, biggest thing is moving from upstate New York to North Carolina with my family. The car has developed a few issues, but I'm slowly remedying them. First the condenser fan died and no a/c in NC is horrible, so that got replaced. I'm pretty sure the front struts are blown which probably lead to the end links and control arm bushings going bad, as well. Removed the end links to see if they were the culprit of the clunking sound, unfortunately not. Finally got around to crawling under the car and checking things out and both LCA rear bushings had torn away from the bolt sleeve. Luckily I was able to purchase a pair of LCAs with those fancy spherical bushings or whatever last year. One was partly disassembled, but after figuring it out, I got it together and fit it to the car. There was some worry about whether they'd bolt up to a BHA since they came off an MX-3, but a little wiggling and everything went back together perfectly. No more play in the control arm and no more clunking. At least from the right side, I still have to do the same on the left and then check the struts. No pictures of the install, but I might get some when I do the other side.

Comment

ooo fitted mx3 arms into a BHA with sphericals...... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Get both sides in & report back what you think of them

Comment

Will do. Though I'm going to need some replacement struts and end links to get the full experience.

Comment

Hi, what is the difference with the mx3 LCAs? Could you explains the spherical bushings since i am experiencing a lot of noise from my front axle and am looking for improvement...

Comment

search for spherical LCA bushings, I ran a couple group buys for them back when

Comment

Originally posted by HMT View Post
                            Hi, what is the difference with the mx3 LCAs? Could you explains the spherical bushings since i am experiencing a lot of noise from my front axle and am looking for improvement...
                            Like FE3 said, do a search for spherical bearings. Look in the Group Buy section so you don't get buried with posts like mine that just mention them. For some quick info, they're steel bushings that eliminate any flex that occurs with regular rubber bushings. Some other benefits as well, but I can't remember all the technical stuff at the moment.

Comment

Small update on the control arms. Got the driver side bolted up, no problems. Tried to get the end links back on and apparently the MX-3 control arms have the end link tab about half and inch inboard compared to the Protege arms. That means the end links hit the sway bar before the reach the mounting tab while bolted to the sway bar. I was able to get a slightly longer top Bolt for both sides and a large nut as a spacer, but even with that there's maybe 2mm between the link and bar. I couldn't hear or feel anything coming in contact on a test drive, but still not very comfortable with it. I think the best course of action will be relocating the tab. Unfortunately, the shed/workshop at the new house isn't wired to plug in a welder or air compressor yet, so the project is on hold for a while.

Oh, and I need new ball joints too.

Comment

bump for a picture!

Comment

Working...
                                X