No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered new axle seals, but also started looking at some upgrade goodies. I messaged ferdi about the spherical bearings, hopefully I can still get a set made. Besides that, it looks like I can use 1998-2005 Miata adjustable front sway bar endlinks (already have the AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar and adjustable endlinks). I might go with AWR again for the fronts unless I find something else.

Since Energy Suspension doesn't list anything for these cars, I found out that the 1979-1985 RX-7 also had a 23mm (0.906") front sway bar (same diameter as the BH). They look the same in the picture, so I'm going to take the risk and try them out. Going with the black ones since they're apparently treated with graphite for lubrication. They're only around $12 from Autozone, so not a huge loss if they don't work. If all this works, I think all that's left would be the rear suspension links and related bushings.

Trying to open up some upgrade opportunities for other BH owners. I'll let everyone know how this works out.
    Last edited by irishkev90; 04-25-2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      Ordered new axle seals, but also started looking at some upgrade goodies. I messaged ferdi about the spherical bearings, hopefully I can still get a set made. Besides that, it looks like I can use 1998-2005 Miata adjustable front sway bar endlinks (already have the AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar and adjustable endlinks). I might go with AWR again for the fronts unless I find something else.

Since Energy Suspension doesn't list anything for these cars, I found out that the 1979-1985 RX-7 also had a 23mm (0.906") front sway bar (same diameter as the BH). They look the same in the picture, so I'm going to take the risk and try them out. Going with the black ones since they're apparently treated with graphite for lubrication. They're only around $12 from Autozone, so not a huge loss if they don't work. If all this works, I think all that's left would be the rear suspension links and related bushings.

Trying to open up some upgrade opportunities for other BH owners. I'll let everyone know how this works out.
      I read through this entire thread (as well as most of your 98 worklog) and I'm very excited to see your still active on these forums, and I'll definitely be poking in here every once in a while because I'm definitely interested in some easy (pricey though?) handling upgrades for my 96!
      96 Protege LX 1.5L
      ~99,000Miles
      Automatic Transmission
      Custom Aluminum CAI - Thrush Welded Muffler - 2002 Protege Spoiler - 98 Protege Tail-Lights - Civic Lip - MX-3 Front Seats - 14" Proline Wheels

Comment

The AWR stuff is pricey, but there's not much out there for these cars. Actually, AWR doesn't make anything for this generation. The rear sway bar is for a BJ chassis, but happens to fit the BH (though the bushing stops are nowhere near the BH bushing mounts) and the front endlinks are for a Miata.

You basically have to piece together parts from every other car to get a full set of anything for these.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
          The AWR stuff is pricey, but there's not much out there for these cars. Actually, AWR doesn't make anything for this generation. The rear sway bar is for a BJ chassis, but happens to fit the BH (though the bushing stops are nowhere near the BH bushing mounts) and the front endlinks are for a Miata.

You basically have to piece together parts from every other car to get a full set of anything for these.
          That really doesn't sound like my cup of tea, considering my lack of suspension knowledge I don't even know how stuff should line up etc.

Maybe I can confirm this with you, but I heard only the ES version of the BHA's (except the 95) had rear sway bars?
          96 Protege LX 1.5L
          ~99,000Miles
          Automatic Transmission
          Custom Aluminum CAI - Thrush Welded Muffler - 2002 Protege Spoiler - 98 Protege Tail-Lights - Civic Lip - MX-3 Front Seats - 14" Proline Wheels

Comment

Last I seen, someone still sells rear sway bars for the bha, though I think they are only for the ES model. I'll see if I can find a link

Comment

They only list the ES model because it was the only one from the factory with endlink tabs on the rear struts. If you have any replacement struts, they usually have the tabs no matter what trim you have.

Comment

Ugh. Torn boot. Best repair soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

RX-7 sway bar bushings just came in. Same inner diameter, but slightly longer. And looks like the bar will sit ~2.3mm lower. Once I get the rest of the parts in, I'll get to work and let you guys know how it works out.

Comment

pictures??
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

You're an inspiration to every BH owner in America

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                        pictures??
                        I'll get some pictures after work today.
                        Originally posted by GavGav View Post
                        You're an inspiration to every BH owner in America
                        Thank you. Just trying to expand our aftermarket horizons.

Still waiting on axle seals to arrive and to hear back from Ferdi about the spherical bearings.

Also should probably take care of the exhaust, while I'm under there.
                        Last edited by irishkev90; 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Protege on the left, RX-7 on the right. Only thing that looks like a problem is the width (first picture) of the RX-7 bushing.
                          Attached Files

Comment

the width isn't a huge deal persay, the tension for the majority will hold it in place. worst case scenario it'll slide a hair or 2. not a big worry
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Oh, I'm not too worried about it sliding. I meant the other way. Sounds like you're talking length (parallel to the sway bar), I meant width (perpendicular to the sway bar). The Protege bushing is skinnier than the RX-7. Getting the bracket on the bushing might be a problem. And I don't have spare brackets to test it out with.
                              Last edited by irishkev90; 05-07-2015, 06:14 AM.

Comment

a little coaxing & it should go

Comment

Working...
                                X