No announcement yet.

Kev's JDM 1997 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intriguing project making the air path from the scoop. i like it. subbin to see the outcome!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks. Theoretically, it should work fine. Actually building it and making it fit will be the true test. I'm going to hold off on the rear skirt project until the intake is done, I don't want to get distracted and forget what I'm doing. And right now I need to get some PlasticWeld or something similar, find some cardboard and maybe some Bondo. I think I'm going to make a cardboard mock-up then make a fiberglass final version once I'm sure everything works.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Got a little bit of work done, then my dad wanted the garage cleaned, so I ended up doing that. I did get the throttle body cleared, the breather will be a problem, but I think the distributor should be fine.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

This is pretty much where it'll end up. It's way to humid out to work for more than five minutes at a time, I hate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373842128126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1236992

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373842144770.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1236993

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373842169272.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1236994

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Alright, after waiting for it to cool down a bit, I got some work done on the lower portion of the air box. Built a mock-up with cardboard and super glue. Needs a little tweaking, it's a little bit too short and not quite squared up, but it's a good base to go off. I think if I make a fiberglass version of the inside of this and then make a lip to make it match up with the plastic part that holds the filter, it should give me more than enough room around all the engine bay components.

Name:	1013505_419885088125326_708467342_n.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1237018

Name:	971128_419885104791991_150319179_n.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1237019

Name:	970075_419885148125320_1796713476_n.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1237020

As you can see in the last photo, there's still room to change the plug wires without having the remove the airbox. I will need to make some changes to fit the MAF back there and I'll have to find a 2.5" 90* coupler to make certain of where it will end up. From what I can tell with my paper template, though, I'll have to change the angled panel in the back to make room for the MAF housing, only slightly. And instead of another elbow going up into the bottom of the box, I should just be able to incorporate a hole that will allow the MAF to slide directly into the box. I want to try to reuse the original part from the stock airbox with the mounting holes for the MAF.

Speaking of mounting, I think I figured out how to mount the box pretty solidly. I'll use one or two holes from the metal strap next to the battery with a bolt going directly in the side of the airbox. The other side I should be able to mount using a screw on the valve cover that should be fastening a plug wire holder (it's not). Those, along with the MAF in the back, should keep it pretty stable.

Oh, and the finishing touch for the night. A lot more work than I was expecting, but I got it to work.

Name:	935814_419885068125328_403100143_n.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1237021

Comment

Ordered a silicone elbow last night and it should be here this weekend. So until then, not much work will be done.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Crap. I have several spare 2.5 couplers. Let me know if you need more

Sent from my iPhone5
                using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't expect to need more than one, but I'll keep you in mind. Thanks.

Comment

I like the design, so basically a 90 pointing down off the throttle body, 2.5" connector pipe, and a 2.5" 90 coupler pointing towards the front, connected to the MAF that'll be bolted to the bottom of the air box facing the rear?
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Whoa, too many parts! Haha. There's less room than I was expecting so the new layout basically just gets rid of the second coupler. It'll be a 90° 2.5" elbow off the throttle body to the MAF which will seat into the lower-backside of the airbox. The MAF will be angled down more than I'd like, so it won't be the most efficient design, but that's not the point.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

The coupler should be here today. I have overtime at 6:00 am until whenever (hoping at least 2:00) Saturday so I should be able to get some work done Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday. I'm much happier being able to do this every weekend instead of driving to the mall and fighting with a girlfriend. The single life is treating me well for now, but this car isn't helping me save any money either

Comment

Alright, the coupler came in yesterday and got a little bit of work done today. I had to trim one end of the coupler almost completely off to move the MAF far enough up to actually work. Here's how it sits as of now.

Name:	1069960_421767561270412_1827998151_n.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1237048

Name:	1069418_421767684603733_252473956_n.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1237049

Name:	998712_421767717937063_343919456_n.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1237050

One of the fuel lines and the transmission dipstick are pretty close to the MAF, but shouldn't be too much of a problem. I should be able to finish up this part of the box tomorrow after work and hopefully get everything smoothed out and ready for fiberglass.

Comment

Im loving this
                            sigpic

Comment

what about a sheetmetal replica?
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Honestly, I don't feel like messing with sheet metal. Personal preference or whatever, I don't know.

But anyway, no work was done today. Overtime from 6:00-noon then my cousin's graduation party from 2:00-midnight. I was actually thinking about skipping the party since I kind of hate hanging out with people, especially anyone I don't really know. But it ended up being really fun and I had a good time. I'll get some more work done tomorrow (today) and see how far I get. I also need to email the PO about getting the title signed in the correct spot and a bill of sale so I can register it and driver it before winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X