Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member question:Replace front catalytic converter with straight pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member question:Replace front catalytic converter with straight pipe?

Hey guys,Steve from Austin,Ky here.Just bought a 2003 Protégé 5 with 173,000 miles on it.2.0L engine with 5 speed manual.I'm getting the PO421 code,bad catalytic converter(1st one right off engine).Do I really need to replace this?I have seen racing headers for this engine that have nowhere for a cat,just four pipes into one that join to rest of exhaust.It will cost 4-500 to replace cat,or 2-300 for headers.If I put on headers what other changes will I have to make(there is an O2 sensor at the current cat).Will there be reprogramming of computer?Drilling to replace O2 sensor? Or do I just run a straight pipe? I'd appreciate any information,this is my first 4 cyl front wheel drive car and it is very foreign to me.Thanks for all your help.

If you run a header with no front cat, it's probably illegal, as it is in most places. If you want to do it, you can run an O2 sensor spacer on the secondary O2. This sensor is for cat diagnosis only. You can also put the spacer on your current secondary O2. I officially don't endorse this, just offering up the info. There's fines in most places if you get caught tampering with emissions.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Thanks for the reply.There are no emissions inspections where I am so that's not an issue(although they are important).What do you think I can do about the first O2 sensor?

Comment

The front O2 sensor will have a place for it in the new headers... You need to Front O2 sensor for the motor to run correctly...

Comment

The front O2 sensor maintains the stoichiometric A/F mixture in closed loop operation. You need it for proper operation and to minimize emissions.

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

If you do decide to stick with a cat, free-flow types are available from Magnaflow.

Check out: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?57477

Happy Motoring!
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
              If you do decide to stick with a cat, free-flow types are available from Magnaflow.

Check out: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?57477

Happy Motoring!
              These don't keep P0420 codes away for long....

Comment

Well, we'll see. It's been one year now and still going strong.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.Think I'll go with the OBX headers and do the anti fouler thing.Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X