msd hook up to 1.8bp 94 protege lx. only msd coil 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msd hook up to 1.8bp 94 protege lx. only msd coil 2

alright guys i just hooked up an msd coil 2 for my protege, it actually made a diffrence in throttle response, turning on, and around 4k and higher u feel it a little more peppy. is the easiest swap you can do to your ignition. is it worth it? i think so, better than stock i beleive. alright it easy u just disconnect the old ignition coil from the plug. the plug has two wires one of them is blue (thick) and the other is yellow with a blue stripe. its easy as 1,2,3. you splice them up and install round washer on the to fit the msd coil2. the thick blue wire goes to the positive side of the msd, and the yellow with blue stripe goes on the negative side. thats it!!! find a spot to hook it up, i used ziptides in mines for now temp. keep the battery disconnected this whole process, so the ecu can reset, turn the car on once done and feel the better response and let me know what you felt on yours.. make sure u step on it. little advice my car i put it a little more advanced timing just a tiny bit makes a difrence =)IMAG0112.jpgIMAG0112.jpg

Hi guys,
    I know that this thread is ancient but I am looking to do something similar to my car. Upgrade the almost 30 year old coil, new spark leads, and dizzy rotor. Anyone can tell me if the above MSD is straight bolt on? Will I need a ballast? Also what you guys recommend for spark leads, dizzy rotor and cap? I am also upgrading the alternator to a 110A bosch (I am replacing this because in short distances the stock alternator was not charging the battery).
    My car is modified and has Emerald ECU, forged pistons, rods, 550cc injectors, 340lph fuel pump, evo 7 turbocharger, custom IC and custom headers.
    I am experiencing cut outs sometimes when the car gets hot. Everything points to the ignition and since the individual coils will require more effort, re tune and money I decided to go this way. Mazda 323 4WD 1.8L 91 model

Thanks
    John

Comment

the stock coil is sufficient. MSD units have been known to be problematic. change the basics cap/rotor/wires and run a proper plug. NGK iridium heat range 6
      problems should go away.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        the stock coil is sufficient. MSD units have been known to be problematic. change the basics cap/rotor/wires and run a proper plug. NGK iridium heat range 6
        problems should go away.
        Thanks mate. So you reckon not to invest to anything after market. Should I least get a new coil? Also with the current setup that I have should I change the gap on the plugs?

Comment

how much boost are you running? typically you wont have "spark blowout" until around(20psi) ~1.4bar or above.
          its very very unlikely you have a logical need to tighten the gap. a new OEM coil never hurts.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I am running 22psi.
            The guys from emerald (ECU manufacturer) told me to close the gap a bit.

Comment

your car, experiment as you need

Comment

I don’t want to experiment. That’s why I am here and I am asking for advice and help guys :-)

So FE3-323 you think just a new one coil, leads, plugs, etc will be enough for my setup?

Comment

i believe so

Comment

Thanks buddy :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X