Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Fill Location and Fluid Type for Familia GTX

Hey Gang,

Anybody Know the Location of the transmission fill and the recommended Fluid to use in a 1991 JDM Familia GTX? as well as Quantity?...

My cars underhood stickers are in Japanese and I can not read Japanese!

thank you,
    Attached Files

probably like the BF's, through the speedometer gear mounting hole on the top of the trans in the back below the master cylinder. The gear body will have the full level on it.

As for the fluid, the manual specs 90, 80-90, or dextron II ATF for G type transaxles (again for BF)
    Last edited by sethro_GT; 09-21-2013, 02:30 PM.
    88 323 GT - 03 Protege5 - 07 Mazda 5

Comment

Trans fluid fill gtx

Thanks for the reply, I'd read about filling the BFs through the speedo drive hole but am doubtful due to the existence of 2 other fill type plugs on the trans in this car. One is on the very top of the trans under the battery tray, the other on the front of the trans about half way up level with the cv shaft...

Comment

Here is a photo of the plug on the front of the trans near the intercooler, roughly level with the cv shaft
        Attached Files

Comment

Under hood sticker in japanese

And here is a shot of the under hood sticker showing recommended fluids and change intervals should anybody be able to translate it...
          Attached Files

Comment

For fluid, I put in mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 with the limited slip friction modifier included and filled through the top plug... 4 qts!... now suspect it is overfilled since only 3 came out so I've drained it down by opening the front plug pictured.
            which coincidentally is close to the same level as the speedo drive gear...
            Anybody have the same car and KNOW CONCLUSIVELY that this is in fact a level/ fill plug?...

Thanks, I don't want to get it wrong

Comment

The fill plug is on top under the shifter cable. Pull off the side plug so you know when the tranny is full. You did it right. Did you get the car from the Terry Bennett auction? Being from Maine would you happen to know Charlie Whitney?
              Clay

Comment

Bennet auction car fo sho.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

I always overfilled mine,I used to use redline lightweight shockproof. Yes that plug at the front is the correct fill line level.

Comment

Yes the front plug that about at cv height is fill kevel. I always just fill it from there. Do Not Forget that the centerdiff has its own fill and drain plugs to go with its own independent oil supply. I was a fan of the redline shockproof cocktail but prefer Torco 90-140. The film strength of that stuff is incredible. It is prolly just coincidence but I have yet to blow up a gearbox running that goop.
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

jnix jinx knock on wood....should not have said that.

Comment

So what is the process of it?
                        Be yourself and drive and fetch the happiness in your life !

Five Star Car Rentals
                        40 French St Eagle Farm QLD 4009, +61 7 5575 5400,
                        www.fivestarcarrentals.com.au
                        Five Star Car Rentals is your number 1 choice for Brisbane car hire. We are conveniently located only 5 minutes from Brisbane Airport. All sizes of cars, no hidden fees and low insurance excess

Comment

Working...
                        X