Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need crank gear for SOHC 1988 323 - Junkyard? Dealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need crank gear for SOHC 1988 323 - Junkyard? Dealer?

Hi, it would be easier to get another than to fix mine so what is the best route? What cars from the junkyard would be most likely to crossover? I read threads about the different crankshafts so I will match the bolt pattern and size when I find a likely donor.

I am talking about the gear on the nose of the crankshaft that drives the timing belt. The old one was abused, couple chunks missing and a broken bolt drilled crooked. Looks like someone pried on it or hit with a hammer. Keyway and crank look good.

I am assuming that this is the original engine but will check as I go.

I got the car with a leaking water pump. Runs great and I am looking forward to getting this fixed real soon. Thanks in advance.
    1988 SOHC 5-speed Mazda 323 SE Hatchback
    1990 MX-6 (in repair)

It's a week already and this project has been waiting.

I was confused too when I read about all of this but had no idea that it was such a mystery. 150 views and nobody knows. The other threads I read had a lot of bad information so I appreciate that nobody sent me on a wild goose chase anyway. It's easy to get the wrong part at a dealership too so I would like to nail this down.

I found parts diagrams with part numbers at http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/ca...car-parts.html.

Anybody know if this is accurate? Part number B36611321A

Thanks in advance. There were a couple Ford Aspires at the junkyard. The engine looks the same but I can't find anything concrete that says the part will cross over.

This place claims to have the parts at a reasonable price. Anybody order from them?
    Last edited by Hatch; 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM.
    1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

Been a while but I thought I would update.

The short answer is call Arlington Mazda with your VIN number. They were great.

The part number I asked about above was not right. They sent the right one, good price, good quick shipping and the car has been running fine ever since.
      1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

Working...
      X