2001 Protege starts, then stops, repeats a few times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 Protege starts, then stops, repeats a few times

Hi my Protege is a 2001 BJ model. Lately, what happens is this. When you start it, it starts and then goes off, repeats for about 3 times before finally starting and remaining ON.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the immobiliser. I've noticed the key indicator light on the dash board lights up 1/2 a second before the engine goes off.

Any suggestions.

If it's the immobilizer I would not think it would start working after 3 tries. Perhaps fuel pressure or delivery?
    2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Hi, that could be. Would you be able to say if the 2001 323 protégé has 2 digit or 4 digit fault codes? I think it's 2. I ran a diagnostic and came up with 3 codes.

12 - TPS
      18 - Fuel Quantity Adjuster
      23 - O2 sensor

Looks like fuel delivery is affected. I'm looking more into 18.

Comment

I found that 2000 - 2003 proteges don't have 2 but 4 digit diagnostic codes. The code I get is: OneLong-4sPause-OneLong-2sPause-3Short-4sPause-OneLong-2sPause-2Short-4sPause-OneLong-2sPause-8Short.

The code seems to be 0328 (or P0328). The above diagnosis is wrong. I guess nobody bothered to correct me. Anyways, this is a mysterious BJ Protege. The VIN number even is not standard. JM0BJ10M1001XXXXX.

I can't even find this code relevant to a 2000-2003 Protege anywhere on the net. Also the CEL is OFF.

Can someone please help?
        Last edited by Nik2013; 03-12-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

OBDII codes are universal

P0328:
          Possible causes
          - Knock sensor circuit short to GND.
          - Knock sensor circuit short to PWR.
          - Knock sensor circuit open.
          - Damaged knock sensor.
          - Powertrain Control Module (PCM

Possible solution
          - Repair or resecure harness or connector
          - Replaced knock sensor

When is the code detected?
          - An excessively high voltage from the sensor is sent to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Electronic Control Module (ECM)

P0328 Description
          The knock sensor is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM).

Comment

Working...
          X