This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Exide Edge AGM Battery

After 7 years and 1 month my Exide Select Orbital AGM battery gave up the ghost. Since the battery had given me such great service, I decided to replace it with another Exide model. Although the previous battery was a spiral cell design (no longer made), the new Exide batteries use a flat plate design containing six sets of plates, with glass mat separators, arranged in a straight line. Additionally, graphite has been added to help it retain its initial capacity for a longer time and therefore extend its life.

According to Odyssey Batteries which also use a flat plate design, densely-packed flat plates avoid the "dead space" between the cylinders in a "six-pack" spiral design (such as the Optima) resulting in more plate surface area and consequently more power.

General Information
    The Battery Council International (BCI) determines specifications for lead acid storage batteries. One of their functions is to provide a list of standard battery dimensions codified under the title of BCI Group number. Each group number specifies a given battery size in terms of length, width and height, as well as the terminal polarity; left hand positive, right hand positive or centerline layout. Looking down on the top of the battery with the terminals closest to you, a R/H positive battery would have the positive terminal on the right. Finally, the terminal location is also listed - top, side or both top and side. BCI publishes a Battery Replacement Data Book each year and it is available at nominal cost. For more information, go to:
    Battery Council International (BCI) is the leading trade association for the North American battery industry.

BCI Group Number charts can also be found online.

Battery Types Used in the Protégé
    The '02 FSM lists specified battery types using Japan Industry Standard (JIS) type numbers. The two types listed, 50D20L and 75D23L are equivalent to BCI Group 35 in terms of dimensions and terminal polarity layout, according to the BCI Battery Replacement Data Book (2007 Edition).

The model number of the OEM battery in my car was JIS 50D20L and was molded on the battery top. It had R/H-POS polarity. After removal, I measured the case size to provide comparative data useful in selecting a replacement.
    50D20L Dimensions L x W x H, inches (mm)
    7 13/16 x 6 11/16 x 7 13/16 (198 x 170 x198)

Note: Height measurement is to top surface of battery (clamping surface) and does not include terminal length.

JIS Battery Designation Code
    This information is taken from the BCI Battery Replacement Data Book (2007 Edition). For example:
    50 D 20 L

first 2-digits (50) = performance ranking
    first letter (D) = classification by battery width x container height
    next 2-digits (20) = approximate battery length in mm when multiplied by 10
    Last letter (L) designates polarity. R = standard left-hand front positive terminal; L= reversed right-hand front positive terminal.

Based on the foregoing considerations and information, I selected an Exide Edge FP-AGM35 battery as a replacement.

In the next post I'll cover battery installation.

Happy Motoring!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 01-04-2014, 07:29 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Battery Installation

I searched locally and online for an Exide dealer with the lowest price as there was quite a variation. I ordered the battery from Stored Energy Products of Lake Worth FL for US $175.19 with no shipping or handling fee as this was the lowest price I found. The battery arrived via Fed-Ex in a well-protected shipping carton. After unpacking the battery, I measured the voltage with my Wavetek HD160 DVM and found it to be 12.6V which according to most sources indicates a battery ready for installation without the need for a prior charge. The battery comes with a 48 month free replacement and a 48 month free jumpstart assistance guarantee.

Exide FP-AGM35 Battery Brief Specifications
    BCI Group Size: 35
    Plate Design: Flat
    CCA at 0* F (-18* C): 650
    CA at 32* F (0* C): 780
    Reserve Capacity (with 25A load): 110 minutes
    L x W x H, inches (mm): 9 1/16 x 6 5/8 x 8 5/8 (230 x 168 x 219)
    Weight: 41.2 lbs.

Installation
    Tools Required:
    Torque wrench
    17 mm socket, 6-pt
    17 mm box wrench
    10 mm box wrench

Procedure:

Open hood and put support in place.

Using a 10 mm box wrench, loosen the clamps and disconnect the ground cable from the battery negative terminal and the feeder cable from the battery positive terminal.

If fitted, remove the four strut tower bar mounting nuts (17 mm hex head) that hold the bar to the stiffening plates. Remove the strut bar from the engine compartment and set it aside.

Remove the two flanged nuts (M6 x 1.0; 10 mm hex head) that secure the battery hold down clamp across the top of the battery. One end of the clamp is affixed to a threaded stud on the strut tower while the other end is held by a threaded J-rod on the other side of the battery tray. Loosen that nut but don't remove it completely or the J-rod will fall into the engine compartment.

Remove the plastic battery cover by lifting it off the battery.

Remove the battery from its tray.

After positioning the new battery on the tray, making sure that the negative terminal is placed to the rear of the engine compartment, refit the battery cover.

Complete the installation by carrying out the removal steps in reverse order. Although over the 7-years of use no trace of corrosion appeared on the battery terminals nor was there any to be found on the battery cable clamps after their removal, I nevertheless thought it a good idea to clean the clamps with 91% isopropyl alcohol before bolting them back on to the new battery. You could also place a light coating of dielectric grease on the battery terminals before connecting the cables but keep in mind that AGM battery terminals do not build up corrosion common to that found on conventional batteries. When replacing the strut tower bar, the FSM specifies that the bar mounting nuts be torqued to 13-19 ft/lbs (18-26 N-m).

I applied a light coating of Red Line synthetic grease to the threaded part of the hold down rod on which the hold down clamp is fastened to prevent future corrosion. BTW, watch the amount of torque applied here to prevent cracking the battery case or stripping the strut tower stud.

Close the hood and you're done.

It's an easy job to do and takes little time. My only complaint is that it seems I always have to replace batteries in the winter which means working outside on my driveway since I have no garage. This time, the temperature was 29* F (-2* C) but since there was no wind it wasn't too bad. It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Happy Motoring!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

7 years? my Exide orbital ORB75DT-108 bit the dust in 36 months. an Optima red top just arrived via UPS today. hopefully the Optima will last as long as your battery did.

Comment

just an update, Optima red top now needs jump starting every time to start the car...am I just getting bad AGM batteries or was there something else going on with the car? how long is yours keeping up?

Comment

i've had absolute **** luck/bad experience with any optima battery i've ever purchased.
          When i finally had enough I went out & bought a sears rebranded "odyssey" battery which is the only time i've ever had a reliable battery. It still cranks the car years later in -30° without issues.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

AGM batteries need a particular charging cycle in order to keep healthy. Most cars with oem AGM batteries have some kind of temp sensor and battery charging strategy controlled by the ecm/bcm. It is possible that your **** luck is caused by constant over charging or heating of the battery.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

or the fact that they moved their manufacturing out of the country & build quality is lower
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Call and ask them what they suggest and if damage could be caused by improper monitoring/charging. I know for fact that all multi battery chargers and AGM specific chargers will limit amperage to about 4 amps in order not to overheat and dmg the battery, intelligent chargers will have an AGM mode just for that.

Comment

dont misunderstand, I do agree that anything other than liquid lead/acid batteries require specialty charging. I just feel that build quality of optimas is not what it used to be

Comment

Gotcha.

Comment

Just to chime in, I was looking at an Exide AGM battery for both the AE88 and the BG a few months back. From my customer review research, they have horrible customer support and warranty honoring system. Maybe all those people were poor at customer service communication, or just idiots, but it's still a good gauge of what tier a company's service and support department belongs to.

And I know FE3 is a smart dude, but I will say that when I had my Optima (red) in my integra (2 years ago), it was the best ****ing battery I ever had. I must have left my lights on in the parking lot a dozen or more times and completely drained the battery. I'd just give her a jump start and drive her home (45 min. drive). This charged up the alt. enough that I never had any issues (until I left my lights on!). Seriously, towards the end I would try and destroy that battery, and I couldn't. Paired with a good alternator I never had an issue. In his defence though, I can't remember if it came with the Integra, or I bought it, but we are still only talking about 2-3 years ago, and most companies who have lost QC standards shifted overseas much earlier on.

This time I bought a Bosch AGM. Bosch has great customer service and warranty programs, which I am learning is the best thing in the automotive part industry. They even give you this cute little card with a number to call and (apparently) a third party will come out to you, AAA style.
                      Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      The bosch is also in the same group as the Exide, weighs less (and less than optima), and I believe has both the same CCA as Exide's (I believe Redtops have quite high CCA if I remember correctly).

Either way, if you get an AGM battery from an actual store and not online, as long as that store has a decent return policy (especially if it's a large chain spread out geographically), it really doesn't even matter, but I did want to share my experience.

I've never had an issue putting in an AGM battery into a vehicle that was equipped with a vented (lead/acid) setup so I can't comment on that, but I've had multiple redtops in vehicles and they never seemed to care. Many people seem to blame batteries first without trying to troubleshoot throughout the entire current path. Not saying the earlier poster didn't have a problem, but in my experience the BGs really have alternator issues, especially with loose belts??, so you should break out that multimeter and check things properly before spending money.
                      Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 11-01-2016, 01:51 AM.
                      1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Working...
                      X