GTX build from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX build from Atlanta

So I'll do my best to update here, but I figured I'd start a build thread here so that when I run into issues you guys can help :D

The goal is to "restore" and build this good old machine back to life and get it back onto the streets. It hopefully will be come my Daily(my commute is 15 miles run trip) as I plan to get rid of the speed3. It had been sitting for 3+ years so I am going to have my work cut out for me .

As of right now I plan to do the car in stages,

Stage 1: Maintenance basically. The plan is to replace WP, seals and belts, along with brakes(PITA), and then suspension.
    Stage 2: Fixing annoying stuff. Things like currently driver side window doesn't work .
    Stage 3: Start upgrades, The goal right now is just a nice 200ish whp. I do plan to replace all the old bushing with upgraded bushing.
    stage 4/Super future: Pending long term plans for this old girl, maybe one day do the whole All-trac transmission swap and then I can build an insane car.

Here are some photos from the PO yard.

Dirty

Like I said, it been sitting for a while and his yard was trying to slowly eat it

Got to love the good old 80s interiors. Shocking the dash and all the interior is in great shape. There is a tear on the Driver seat but the rest are still in great shape. Just needs a good cleaning.

Sweet part is as I been digging through the car I keep find more and more stuff, like this:

Oh and the car already has SS brake lines and SS clutch line .

Looks like it is all there. That is a good thing. Here is what one of mine looked like when I found it.
    Then

and now

So hang in there and stay with it...it is worth it in the end.
    Clay

Comment

how long was that sitting for??
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I found the car in a wreckers here in Phx in 06...I dont want to jack his build thread...just give him some incentive.

Comment

Nice interior. Let me know if you want to get rid of those seats.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
            Looks like it is all there. That is a good thing. Here is what one of mine looked like when I found it.

So hang in there and stay with it...it is worth it in the end.
            Clay
            Thanks, Yea the car is mostly together. That last owner started to work on it and then life got in the way. I can't wait to get this old girl back on the road. Right now if I can keep finding time(prego wife and 14mo makes it hard to find time) I should have the motor and trans out this weekend.

When I get some time today, I'll get the progress I made over the weekend posted.

Comment

Anyone else realize the BF chassis is in the BG worklog? lol
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                Anyone else realize the BF chassis is in the BG worklog? lol
                Yea I just noticed this got put into the wrong section. I must have missed clicked. Any Mods can you move this to the BF section as I f**ked up. Thanks

Comment

done & fixed
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

So I got some time over this weekend and made some progress.

Saturday, I got to start ripping out parts. Goal is to pull the motor and trans, clean everything up. The car needs one hella cleaning, and there some minor suface rust on some parts.

Here some photos from the day's work.

Hmm, I think there maybe some rust on my brakes...

She lost her shoes

So Sunday I was able to make more progress on the car. I have less photos, but I got the whole front suspension off the car, and off to the side for cleaning and rebuilding. Also got sh*t unhooked from the engine. I am thinking either over the week, or by next week I should have the engine and trans free from the car.

Tuesday I got an hour in the garage afterwork. Got some more connectors unhooked, and started working on removing the subframe. I decided that I am going to drop the motor and trans out the bottom of the car.

I still need to get with the PO and get some more spare parts from him. All ready got all new upgrade suspension, brake pads, 2 miata CAS, and a crap ton of Relays.

Hopefully my wonderful wife will keep being amazing, and watching our son, and I can keep up this pace. I'll try and get more photos next time. Just kinda got catch up in the work.

Comment

it would be so satisfying to pressure wash that car

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Originally posted by bogaut View Post
                        it would be so satisfying to pressure wash that car
                        Dude you are telling me. The pressure washer is on the other side of the car and just waiting. I plan to clean up the everything while the two are apart. Also got some local Mx5 guys already planning to help me detail and clean up the paint work once it get warmer. As the paint in good shape, just need some serious loving to shine again.

Comment

its already looking HEAPS better then before

Comment

glad to see a gtx restoration. Just picked up one in california and this is a great little car that I want to give a new life. Thing is a perfect hwy 9 slut but just sucks trying to find info on rebuilds. Keep up the good work, I will definately be following your thread closely.

Comment

Originally posted by gtx323_88 View Post
                              glad to see a gtx restoration. Just picked up one in california and this is a great little car that I want to give a new life. Thing is a perfect hwy 9 slut but just sucks trying to find info on rebuilds. Keep up the good work, I will definately be following your thread closely.
                              Thanks, yea the limited numbers of there cars make finding information kinda hard. This is my first time every dealing with a GTX, hell I haven't even driven one yet :D. So hopefully my work will help you and other people with these cars. Luckily the community for the GTX is a very solid group so information is there sometimes just takes a little more to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X