No announcement yet.

GTX build from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So some updates, from this weekends progress.

Then Freedom:

The lonely motor

And the poor engine bay.

Sunday I pulled out the pressure washer and started to clean up some stuff.

Dirty stuff

Clean

It'll be nice to work on the motor now without caked on layers of dirt. Wednesday my FM tool kit arrives so the next plan is to replace Cam seals, rear main, front seal, WP, TB and other belts.

Also while cleaning up the garage, I was looking through the parts I got from the PO. Got a bin full of 4 Koni Red, 4 coilover kits and 2 springs :D. I can't wait to get the rest of the boxs from the PO. Maybe get the other two springs too :D. It's like Christmas each time I open up boxes and find more cool parts.

Comment

Progress photo dump. Got my FM tools early so I started maintenance work last night.

Engine looks clean for 20+ years and 128k

Cam seal installer at work. The tools aren't 100% needed but I will admit they do sure make the progress go smoothly.

Comment

Looks like a solid car,Georgia car? Did you end up pulling the motor or dragging it out? Your on the right track man,get it running good and you'll have fun for sure. Not a great idea ever going alltrac I think, bp it one day and you should be happy. Maybe.
        Doing a great job regardless,digging it!

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
          Looks like a solid car,Georgia car? Did you end up pulling the motor or dragging it out? Your on the right track man,get it running good and you'll have fun for sure. Not a great idea ever going alltrac I think, bp it one day and you should be happy. Maybe.
          Doing a great job regardless,digging it!
          Thanks, I think it's been a GA car most of it's life. I ending up dragging it out, which seems to have worked well. I may do something similar when install it.

As of right now I am leaning against going BP in the future. I had a b6 in the miata and swapped to the bp, and just kinda missed the peppy of the b6. Now that being said, it was in a b6 rather b6-t so there maybe some differences but we will see. Right now this block seems super solid so I'll be rocking it for a while. The whole all-trac swap is so far in the future that who knows where what I'll do.

Comment

Push it back under the car and lift it in.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
              Push it back under the car and lift it in.
              Honestly when I was working on the car this weekend that is kinda what I was thinking. Use the lift to get the car up higher and easier, roll the motor under the car. Set the car on nice high jack stands, and then lift the motor up into place. I was thinking original of going back in through the top, but the transfer case seems like it'd make it a PITA.

An update should be coming soon of the progress from the weekend. Hopefully today will be slow at work so I can post during one of my breaks.

Comment

I've never dropped the motor out of the bottom. Every time I've pulled my motor or my friend's motor, we usually take it out with a cherry picker. I've only done honda motors through the bottom. Looks good!! It's a process.

Comment

It is much easier on the GTX to come out and in the bottom with the transfer carrier on the back for the tranny graciously in the way. Also the hood does not need to come off and it can easily be done with just one person.

Comment

It is much easier on the GTX to come out and in the bottom with the transfer carrier on the back for the tranny graciously in the way. Also the hood does not need to come off and it can easily be done with just one person.
                    +1 on can be done with one person out the bottom. So far everything I done has been solo so what ever is the easiest solo is how I am doing this project.

Comment

Update Time:

Spent some time installing the timing belt. Look a little bit cause the crank kept turning on me. =/ But in the end the FM timing tool was nice.

All the plastic and still in great shape

After the TB job, I pull the transmission to check on the clutch cause I'd be damned if I was going to install the motor after all this work just to find out the clutch was near the end of it's life.

I thought I took photos of it, but guess I forgot. The clutch was still in great shape so install that back and spent a while lining up the transmission. It's not as easy to do as the Miata transmission. The transfer case made the transmission super side heavy so I had to work around that.

I am currently re-painting the VC and then the motor should be ready to go back into the engine bay. .

Next on the list was starting on rusty parts and shocks and springs.

ewww

Starting to get better , thanks to a nice wire wheel.

Again, I totally didn't take a good photo of the painted parts after cleaning up the rust.

After that was to cut the new shock, which BTW is freaking crazy to do. =/. Had to remove the huge perch and then enlarge one of the shock/knuckle bolt holes. These new shocks almost fit. One of the bolt whole is about 5mm off from the knuckle. The joys of owning a GTX, got to fab up a lot of parts.

End product:

Also you can see the newly painted top hat in that photo also. . I am still trying to figure out if I want to use the supplied mini top hat or just have the spring rest on the stock top hat. Opinions?

Yesterday I put the car back on the ground as this weekend I need to roll her outside to wash the car and engine bay. Going to suck since it's only going to be in the 40s. Guess time to pull out all the snowboarding gear to keep warm.

Here for fun... old school "speed" 3 staring at the new school speed 3.

Comment

Some cool things I have learned on this project:

1)... Acetone and PS make an amazing rust penetrating fluid :D One of my shocks was rusted on the top and even after unbolting them and prying the top wouldn't come off. Sprayed some fluid on it, and then hit with a screw driver and the whole system sprung apart like a missile. :D Just a world of warning, A)... super flammable, and B) I read it'll eat through paint.

2) Vinegar works great to de-rust bolts. Case in point, two bolts from the same car guess which one sat in a vinegar bath for 36 hours. You need to wipe the parts down after wards.

Comment

CLR works quicker on the rusties.

Comment

CLR works quicker on the rusties.
                            Nice to know, but I don't have CLR around the house but I have lots of Vinegar. I used Apple Cinder too :D My garage had a weird seem over this weekend, as there is still small amount of Trans fluid on the floor, and I was painting. So rotten eggs, apple cinder vinegar and paint smells. My nose hated me :D

Comment

I don't know why but for some reason I thought you were rebuilding the motor. I hope you checked the compression while at it, because 200k on these motors seems to be the limits right where the piston rings are worn out...

Comment

Let me know if you want to do something about that stock turbo. I good at porting and polish and I have a vj11 sitting over here..... Just putting it out there since I know your local.

Comment

Working...
                                X