No announcement yet.

GTX build from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im really digging your front brake setup, if you don't mind can you provide some more details on it? I have the Galant Big Brake setup on on of my cars, but I wouldn't mind retaining stock calipers for a 'better' pedal feel. Those look like somewhat thicker rotors, what are they from? Non-captured is the way to go.

I may have missed it, what rear struts are you using? When I did my AWD conversion I got 1G 626 rear struts, had to modify the mounting ears the same way. Nice coilovers!
    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
      Im really digging your front brake setup, if you don't mind can you provide some more details on it? I have the Galant Big Brake setup on on of my cars, but I wouldn't mind retaining stock calipers for a 'better' pedal feel. Those look like somewhat thicker rotors, what are they from? Non-captured is the way to go.

I may have missed it, what rear struts are you using? When I did my AWD conversion I got 1G 626 rear struts, had to modify the mounting ears the same way. Nice coilovers!
      Thanks. I got the idea off of someone's post on here, they are 240SX(S13-S14 4 lugs) rotors. They aren't the perfect rotor but another good option. They are IIRC 22mm think(where the galant was 24mm). The issue with them, is the offset is almost right, but just a shy too little to be perfect. The problem I ran into is that the rotor plus pads are too thick for the stock caliper so you have to grind down the pads some, also since the offset is just perfect, it's requires more off the front pad then the rear. It's not a huge amount removed from the pads, but it's still not the perfect swap. It was perfect for me as I got two set of front pads with the car so. :D.

As for the shocks, I am not 100% on everything with them as they came with the car when I bought it. I was told by the PO that they were a "kit" setup by some circle track people.

Here are the part numbers off the shocks:
      Front:
      Knoi Red, 86T-2280r Special D. (I think they came from an MX6/626, mounting ears had to be modified)
      Rear:
      Knoi Red, 87-2281. (bolted on with out modify)

Now I am not sure if they have custom valves(they seem adjustable), as they pull themselves closed. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen from shocks. Most shocks I have seen always want to push themselves to max sizes. Weird.

As for springs, they are from A-1 racing 5" coil over kit with rates of
      Front:
      12" #275
      Rear
      10" #175

Also thanks for all the great words. I can't wait to give this old girl a drive. I'll try and give some feed back on the shocks and springs once the car is up and running. Granted I can't compare it to the stock setup, but some feed back is better then nothing.

Comment

Looking good! What do you plan for the BG 4wd knuckles?
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
          Looking good! What do you plan for the BG 4wd knuckles?
          Thanks man. As for the BG knuckles. Right now I am holding off pulling the trigger on buying make sure I don't have anything else big come up. Even then, it'll be a little while I think before I make the swap. It'll depend how long my rear wheel bearing/brakes last. That and just finding good wheels for the car. As of right now I have a lot of random 4x100 wheels at my place but no 4 match :D.

Comment

Oh it's for the bolt pattern. I didn't realize they were similar to the BF.
            1990 Protege 4WD
            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Oh it's for the bolt pattern. I didn't realize they were similar to the BF.
              Its for the bolt pattern and also to switch to a seal bearing. I believe the BG were also floating rotors from the factory rather then captured. So all around it's to just upgrade to a new product while also swapping to the 4x100 pattern I'd like. I am wondering how 949 6ul would look on a 323 GTX, but mostly cause I can find a handful of cheap 4x100 wheels from the Miata groups.

Comment

That makes sense. So the attachment points are close enough to work easily. Interesting.
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

That makes sense. So the attachment points are close enough to work easily. Interesting.
                  From what I been told, as I haven't see bf vs bg. The two differences I know is you need hybrid axles, as there is a different with BG, I think they are narrower, and the shock mount points are slightly different. Someone on Facebook, claimed it the bolt hole location are different. Most people swap to bg shocks, but it was implied one could maybe file out bf shock mounts similar to what I had to do with my mx6 shocks.

Once I get a set, I'll try and remember to take photos comparing the differences, unless someone knows of a post where it already been done.

Comment

The Koni's I have do not pull themselves out.

Comment

So progress has been slow since I been stupidly busy with the release of the studio's current game/project.

But

I did get the good old car to spin over last night. I realized I was missing a few little and one BIG ground. So once I got those hooked up the motor spin over. :D. I need to replace my plug wires as one was eaten by a rat in the past, and you can see if sparking :D. That and new fuel and maybe just maybe the old girl will start up for me :D. It was really trying to last night so :D.

So progress, still will have some minor things to hook up and but I can almost taste it, the end seems so close right now :D

Comment

So update for the weekend.

Well it all start Saturday as I am heading out with the family, and the wife ask "Should your car be leaking?". At which point I was saddened with out even looking. Walked over to the GTX and saw a rather large puddle of water under the car. =/

So today(Sunday) get home around 10:30 from church ready to deal with all the new crap on the GTX. Start looking at the leak and see that it's running down the AC unit. Which mean the leak is either from the lower radiator hose or the water pump connections. So after looking some more, notice the lower radiator hose clamp wasn't pushed as close to the block as it could. So that makes me a little happy. So unhook and pulled the intercooler, discounted the a/c line, and spent about 30 minutes trying to get a pair of piles onto the clamp. Clamp that down blow all the water off and seems to stopped leak. (will have to keep an eye on it).

At the same time as I was working on the leak, I pulled the fuel line off the filter and saw fuel. Which made me sad cause I was hoping that the filter was just clogged, and that was the no start reason. So I figured maybe some crap still in the lines from ****ting. So poured some good old acetone in the feed line/fuel rail. Did it twice before heading to auto store. Typical AutoZone and no one knows were **** is, so spent 40 minutes there cause they had the fuel filter in the back rather then with all the others. Whatever.

So get home, hook up the new battery since the last one was shot, and replace the fuel filter which was needed as the fuel in it was nasty. So decided **** it lets try turning the car over and make sure the battery is good and such. So turn the key and the motor spins and spins and spins. Sadness starts to set in, and then pop, pop, vroom, the HLA tick from hell. I was so freaking happy.

Stupid Photobucket video's

So of course at this point I was stupidly happy. Well then notice water dripping from the back side of the motor. MotherF**Ker. Well again looking notice another stupid clamp not on all the way. So I'll have to again keep a watch on that leak. Anyway, crazy happy, I buttoned up a few more things, threw some wheels on it, set the car on the ground and prayed.

Then smoothly and totally scared, took the GTX for about .2 of a mile drive up and down my driveway. She didn't blow up so :D

Stupid Photobucket video's

So to say I am happy is an understatement. Such a nature high after ~4 month to get a car back up and running that was sitting for over 3 years. Then even better to get an old and odd beast as the GTX to move just makes me happy. I still got a lot of little things to do and a lot more buttoning up. Such as the Front sway isn't even fully on :D. Still got some progress before she is truly road worthy but a huge freaking step forward.

Here are some photos, I think I'll need to raise the rear as that is about as low as the front can go :D. It does look super action based, as it seem to look like it's in the middle of an AWD Launch.

Thanks everyone for keeping me motivated, and my amazing wife as I have worked on the GTX a lot of long weekends, as she watch our son

Comment

ITS ALIVE!!!~!!

well done sir. glad to see another gtx saved from the scrapyard.
                          what suspension/springs are in the rear on that?
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                            ITS ALIVE!!!~!!

well done sir. glad to see another gtx saved from the scrapyard.
                            what suspension/springs are in the rear on that?
                            They are Koni Reds(not sure if for 323 or mx6), the springs are 10" #175 on coilovers selves. Before installing them, I set all four corners to the lowest they could go, then balanced between l/r. So I'll just need raise them. I also remembered that the front sway bar is not bolted up and then may pull the front end down some also. Either way it makes for a funny stance right now.

Comment

righto- thankgod for adjustability right
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                                righto- thankgod for adjustability right
                                Damn straight. Plus one of the perks is they are just your standard 5" spring. So if I don't like them I can order off the shelf replacements in almost any height/strenght. . I have a feeling these will work out just right. The PO said these were a "kit" designed by some old circle track guys for the yahoo group. So the real mystery part is if the shock were revalved in any way. The problem is the PO was stock piling parts while he drove it and while it sat. So he's had some of the parts for so long he doesn't fully remember the specs on everything :d.

Comment

Working...
                                X