No announcement yet.

GTX build from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol that description of the PO sounds like most of us here. welcome to that club too

Keep us updated!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      lol that description of the PO sounds like most of us here. welcome to that club too

Keep us updated!!
      Yea the last owner was a true fan of the car. He was really sad at first to put the car up for sale, but he said he is very glad that it went to a good home. He was a friend of a friend, and I even made a deal with him that once it's really well that I'll let him have one more go in the car :D.

Comment

Congratulations on startup and first drive!
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

So been a moment but as always been pushing on the car. I noticed the other day that the rear driver side trailing arm look "off". So super thankful for the stock pile of parts, compared it to a new one and yepo, bent. So pulled that off, and run into the issue were the rear bushing sleeve had rust welded it's self to the knuckle. So that took ~ 3 evenings to get free. .

But on the good news of all of it. I got the car legal and test drove it on Saturday. Went to the most "run down" gas station around me, but it's also the only one that is all back roads to get to. So =/.

First tank of gas :D

After safely making that, I took the car Sunday to C&O which for those that aren't familiar with them, they are a large monthly gathering. Got a lot of comments, and the car got a sh*t ton of photos. So hopefully I can track down a good number of them :D.

Unfortunately it wasn't all perfect. I am getting a bad vibration from the front wheels. Hopefully in my haste I am hoping I didn't lug center them correctly since there is no more hub center. The other big issue, is I heard twice a chuck sounds from the driver side suspensions. So I need to track that down. Either way making huge progress to making the GTX a true road worth car again. :D

Comment

Here are few photos some people got of the cars first real outing.

Still got a lot of work left and honestly I think I'll always have a list of things I want to do/need to do :D

Comment

glad to see it on the road never the less
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

So I've been driving the GTX all week(minus Tuesday as the power was out and was to lazy to manually open the garage door :D ). Really loving the car, and the vibe of driving an "older" car.

I did notice small coolant leak, after digging into the car on Saturday I found out that the o-ring for the heater by-pass pipe was torn and leaking. Guessing I tore it while install it. =/ The ****ty part is that is not a auto store part. If you want just the o-ring, have to order it from Mazda. Figure this out at ~1:30 pm, which on a Saturday meant stealerships were closed.

So Monday(pending work), I'll be swing by and picking that up.

But I did figure since the car will be down I'd start another project, which nicely enough I finished already :D. The front suspension was higher then I'd like. If you look at the photo you can see that I have the coliover sleeve mounted on the old spring mount. Well this meant that the current height was as low as I could go, which would be find for rally only, but I wanted an 1-2" lower for the streets.

So I took notice of some Rally coilovers and decide to remove the old spring mount totally, remove the un-used brake line holder, and drop the sleeve all the way to the bottom. It measure ~3.5" lower then were the sleeve was mounted now, and with a ~5 sleeve meant I'd be able to keep the same height if I wanted, but have the option to go lower. So whipped out the good old grinder, went to town, then hit it with a coat of black rust blocking paint.

I am still getting the springs to be come unseated at full droop, which isn't to big of an issue but annoying to me. So I am looking into Helper Springs and Tender springs. I'll need to run the current setup thought it's paces to figure out the option, cause if the current spring rate can do everything I went then just Helper Springs. If not then I'll research and start down the road to figure out Tender Springs rates, as that is a just a full on bag of numbers and a lot of math.

Oh I also made something for the GTX while working on it. I hit the fender with a wrench over the weekend and left a mark , so I started looking at fender protectors then said F it, and made some.

Made one for each side too . It's fleece underside, with a jean like fabric on top. Right now I am using 5 small earth magnets, but I think I need more. I'll got some old Hard drives so I'll most likely rip them apart and use one near each end to add extra hold. That should give the paint some extra protection. :D

Comment

Good stuff man. BF population slowly increasing in GA. lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Any update with your car???

Comment

Wow, Sorry I been neglecting you guys with updates.

Big update is I've been driving the crap out of the car for the last year. I have had a few bumps and issues, some the cars fault some mine.

Let see:

Fixed the drivers side window(had to pull the switch apart and clean up the carbon crap)

October 2014, I swapped out the old Alternator bracket for the newer style off the MX5. Had to make some changes to the bracket,

Around Nov 2014, I converted my old DIYPNP to work on the GTX using miata CAS and Coils.
                      It's an old photo as I ended up using BIP373 but aren't picture.

Working great, minus I still have no tach. I've been meaning to hunt down the issues, but just haven't got around to it. :D :D

During that time I also "welded" (Still learning) an O2 bung to move the Wideband down into the downpipe rather then in the manifold. Not the prettiest weld but not bad for second/third thing ever welded with my flux core setup

Then we ended up getting some "snow" here in GA:

Last edited by Wildfire0310; 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Around April 2015, had an issue with my exhaust

Made an un-pretty patch.

It's holding and sounds good again but I'll be replacing this old HKS exhaust in the future. It's slowly rusting away

Most recently I swapped out the rear pads for some EBC greens.

Weirdly I have no photos of them installed :D. Sorry far I am liking them. I am slowly researching brake options as the rotors will most likely need a replacement after these pads. So I need to figure out my long term hub/brake options. I keep going back and forth on the 4x100 swaps and such.

Overall the car has been great. I had two times(can't remember dates) where i had to get the GTX towed home. One was due to a no start, no power which in the end was a bad ground off the battery(battery to chassis) and the other was my weatherpack connection for the coils was bad(my fault) which cause the car to just die while pulling into the local grocery store.

Lately I been finishing my basement and working like a mad man. I did get a few new additions for the garage.

1) Old toolset of my dad's.

Load with tools, and not cheap crap. Nice stuff like old school SK tool, a few calipers from Mit***(forgot the name), etc One of them is in the brake photos above. Either way just a great score and even more so due to the history of them.

2) Two huge ass Vidmar Cabinets. Score them for $200 a pop :D :D

I need to hunt down some good casters and plan to put a work top on each of them so they can become "movable" work areas if need be but build a huge bench that they can live under. Should give me plenty of storage and working areas in the future :D.

So over all the GTX has just been driven and enjoyed the last year or so. I have some future plans for it, like building up a new engine with higher CR and just being refreshed in general. But most of my free time has been spent on the house and just with the kids.

I did get a new car/Van for the wife so her old car is being held onto as a back up. So that means long term projects that require the GTX to be down can be done in the future :D.

Comment

Thanks for the update Wildfire, how is the car running with the MS?

Comment

Originally posted by slownrusty View Post
                            Thanks for the update Wildfire, how is the car running with the MS?
                            The car is running well on the MS. I am using the a base map from DIY as the start. I had to adjust the idle fueling levels. I need to do a few fine tuning cause it's running a tad richer then I'd like. Totally safe levels but out of boost I'd like to go a little leaner, and then at 7+ psi it's a little richer then it needs to be. I think that is cause the base DIY turbo Miata map uses a GT2560 IIRC so it's tuned for a little more airflow then I am giving the car.

The car has responded well to the MS. At some point, I hope to try and map out the stock GTX ecu timing, as I am not sure how the timing of that map relates to the GTX. I know I have a large amount of tuning left on the table for the car right now, it's just not in the card currently to throw the GTX on a dyno and tune. It also doesn't help that the only connection I have to a dyno is a 2wd, so I'd have to pay full price to use a 4wd dyno. =/

Comment

Fabulous, I would like to pick your brain some more if you don't mind, as I am embark upon the same MS journey (pardon the pun!)

Comment

Originally posted by slownrusty View Post
                                Fabulous, I would like to pick your brain some more if you don't mind, as I am embark upon the same MS journey (pardon the pun!)
                                i'll help the best I can. I know I still have some issues with mine. Right now i have no tach =/. Otherwise I'll do the best I can. Some heads up on my system, Miata CAS and Coil pack, so from the MS standpoint it's basically a miata with different wiring output locations, or custom wiring for the CAS, Coils.

Comment

Working...
                                X