No announcement yet.

GTX build from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally. while im all for upgrades if you are going to spend money. invest in an external wastegate system.
    If you have a good torch you can MIG a 1/8-1/4" plate into the hotside itself to act as a proper divider. pending you are stuck with internal gate i recommend this route as theres less chance of warping the exit flange.

Happy boosting!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I have taken some PTO so this morning the kids and wife where at church/bible study stuff, so I spent some time in the garage. Ended up finally finishing my gas tank which was basically read empty for a few weeks :D.

turbo outlet 1 by b c, on Flickr

Turbo outlet 2 by b c, on Flickr

Turbo outlet 3 by b c, on Flickr

*note, I am still not the best welder :D*

Still have a few hours of work left but overall getting really close :D. I plan to get a new gas tank tomorrow morning and then i should have my normal Thursday night garage time. So I should be able to finish up the flange then. :D

Comment

I got the new battery temp into place, so I was able to do a test start. I have a video of the first start but I squealed so I haven't posted it yet, but the old girl started up with ease even after stilling for ~14+ months.

Either way so far sounds decent at idle so far, need to button a few things up like the battery and then I can try driving around. The tune feels off, but cause I haven't really worked on it. Mostly a delay when I was blipping the throttle last night.

I need to get it out on the road and see if the one muffler was enough of if I'll need to adjust it. Either way, huge progress and I was super happy last night :D

Comment

idles pretty good!!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            idles pretty good!!
            It was yo-yo at first but as the temps came up it idled decent. The MS does a decent job of holding the idle. I need to still tune it a lot but it's a start .

Comment

Small but "BIG" update

Resting after first drive in a year by b c, on Flickr

Doesn't look like much but its the after photo of a small run around the block. Got a small list of things i need to fix still, but drove it at least :D. Big thing on the list is overboosting.

When I pulled out of my neighborhood, it shoot up to ~20# of boost and then hard cut. I haven't had a chance to see, my first guess since the EBC was set at 7psi, is that it got unhooked during the exhaust install. There is a small chance it's insane boost creep, but odds are low.

Second thing is the car is loud . So I need to look into a second muffler in the mid pipe that I can use to lower the DB of the exhaust and remove a little humming it had =/.

Last the car needs a good tune.

GTX resting by b c, on Flickr

One more of the GTX resting in the garage

Comment

what size exhaust is on there atm?

Comment

what size exhaust is on there atm?
                  Basically 3". It start out at like 2 1/4 and is 3" by the end of the oil pan. After looking on google, and turbo miata. I think I may get one of big long magnaflow muffler and fit it in the middle section between the cat and rear subframe section. There is a long 3" pipe right there and the HKS exhaust had a small muffler in that section. So I just need to get under the car and see what is the largest muffler I can add there.

Comment

you should see my exhaust. after the oilpan its a aftermarket cat, and then all resonators back to the bend going around the gas tank.
                    Things i would change if i did it again:
                    mild steel (stainless has a tingy amplified sound)
                    a different muffler (i have a flowmaster on there now which is known for deep tone)
                    2.5" at maximum - If needed a 3" dump /cutout for boost.
                    3" IMHO is just too hard to keep the sound under control. id go so far as to claim its twice as bad as any 2.5" system

point being, adding resonator does significantly help and you will be glad you did. but it might still be too loud

Comment

you should see my exhaust. after the oilpan its a aftermarket cat, and then all resonators back to the bend going around the gas tank.
                      Things i would change if i did it again:
                      mild steel (stainless has a tingy amplified sound)
                      a different muffler (i have a flowmaster on there now which is known for deep tone)
                      2.5" at maximum - If needed a 3" dump /cutout for boost.
                      3" IMHO is just too hard to keep the sound under control. id go so far as to claim its twice as bad as any 2.5" system

point being, adding resonator does significantly help and you will be glad you did. but it might still be too loud
                      I had a 3" on my turbo miata so I know it can sound good. I was loosely basing my current system on the one I had back in the day. I was hoping the muffler I got from summit would have been as good as the old Enthusa one I had. Guess it wasn't :D. Either way another muffler isn't going to kill the system and should really reduce the noise as I should be able to put a nice long and large one under the car. I don't think I'll be able to do a 5x11x22 that most of the miata guys like, but I maybe able to run a 5x8xXX something nicely. I cause I was thinking about it, if I mounted it vertically, that would mean the end of the muffler would extend about 2.5" farther down then the current pipe. So as long as I push it up piping up high enough I think it should be fine.

Most likely the muffler will hang past the scrub line of the car which would suck if something big happened but of all things to be below the scrub line a muffler isn't a deal breaker.

Comment

Small update but the motor is out of the car. Found some oil leaks and other issues and just want to fix them right the first time.

First oil leak and the reason for the full pull, there was oil leaking from between the bell housing and motor.
                        Inside the bellhousing =/
                        Untitled by b c, on Flickr

Hard to see due to meh lighting but if you look behind the flywheel it's nasty too

Yet the plate looks good, so most likely pan or rear seal but I plan to do the front tranny seal, new rear, new pan seals and just re-seal the whole pan as it's 20+-year-old sealant at this point. Going to strip the front down and see if the front seals are ok, I don't think I replaced the front main seal when I got the car so I'll mostly swap that. I really don't want to cut corners with my cars anymore. I am finally in a really good place financially and would rather take my time and save up my fun money and do it right the first time.

Oh there was also this issues that was found when pulling the motor

The crack goes all the way through, as I pressure tested the exhaust and got nasty bubbles along that. I have to look at the red part car as I think it has an uncracked manifold but if not I have a spare that isn't cracked as bad and would be more easily repaired.

Comment

I need to replace the rear main seal on my car as well, I am almost ready for another clutch job, so it will happen then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

ouch @ the manifold. time for some nickel rod welding!

Comment

ouch @ the manifold. time for some nickel rod welding!
                              Yea =/ Hopefully one of my other manifold on my parts car is in better shape. But speaking of welding, I did pick this up around fathers day and currently teaching myself on some 6061 Alum.

Comment

Looking good Wildfire! You've been busy.

Comment

Working...
                                X