This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osram Night Breaker Unlimited Headlight Bulbs

Osram has an updated, improved version of its previously top-of-the-line Night Breaker PLUS series of headlight bulbs; this latest development is known as the Night Breaker Unlimited series. The earlier thread about the Night Breaker PLUS bulbs can be accessed at http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?49820

According to the manufacturer, the Unlimited differs from a standard Osram bulb in the following ways:
    Up to 110% more light on the road ahead
    Up to 40 meters (131') longer light beam
    Up to 20% whiter light
    Unique blue ring coating - These are not an overall tint or coating but rather what Osram calls dichroic filters to whiten the light output from the bulb.
    Silver pins and a silver tip

For more information, go to Osram's official website:

The Unlimited is available in the following configurations; H1, H3, H4, H7, H11, HB3 (9005), and HB4 (9006).

The bulbs are available from http://www.powerbulbs.com
    This is an excellent overseas vendor (Great Britain) from whom I've ordered many times. Shipping is free and always prompt.

Some Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs are also available from a domestic vendor, Candlepower Inc., located in Maryland. Go to:
    Memotronics is your online source for lighting and industrial supplies. We stock over 2000 miniature, line-voltage and halogen bulbs for industrial, automotive, residential and commercial applications. Our automotive lighting selection includes vintage and hard-to-find bulbs for domestic and import cars, as well as a range of thermal, electronic and solid state flashers, including a range of turn sugnal flashers for aftermarket LED conversions

Do not confuse these bulbs with the Sylvania Silver Stars sold domestically in auto parts stores. Although Sylvania is now an Osram company, their bulbs sold here have different specs.

I'm currently running Night Breaker PLUS bulbs in the Penultimate Driving Machine and I find them to be the best headlight bulbs I've used to date. I plan to order a set of the new Unlimited's to have on hand when my present bulbs undergo failure.

It should also be mentioned that a good source of lighting and bulb information can be found at Daniel Stern Lighting. Go to: http://danielsternlighting.com

Let there be light!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Night Breaker Unlimited Headlight Bulb Applications

According to the Osram/Sylvania Automotive Lighting Guide and the Power Bulbs Application Guide, an Unlimited headlight bulb type exists for all models of Proteges from 1995-2003 and all 3s from 2004-14.

1995-2003 Proteges (with the exception of the 2002-2003 P5): H4 dual filament 60/55W

2002-2003 P5: lo-beam H7 55W; hi-beam 9005 (HB3) 55W

2004-2009 3: lo-beam H7 55W; hi-beam 9005 (HB3) 55W

2010-2014 3: lo-beam H11 55W; hi-beam 9005 HB3) 55W

For those of you with Proteges too old to make use of Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs, you might consider upgrading to a later model. After all, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Let there be light!
    Last edited by goldstar; 01-17-2014, 07:56 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I just recently got some night breaker plus bulbs after one of my 8 year old silverstars died. They are great bulbs. While I won't be upgrading until these come to the end of their life, it's nice to have something even better to look forward to. I have H4s in EDM housings.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

great post as always goldstar

i wonder if anyone has tried and has input on the led conversion bulbs that have just come out

Comment

Don't waste your money on drop-in LED bulbs. They are far too expensive, don't produce near the amount of light they advertise, especially once they start overheating, scatter light everywhere, and are illegal. There are also no legal housing replacements to retrofit your car with. Best bet is to just buy a good set of halogens. You, and everyone else on the road, will be much happier in the end.
          1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

interesting! had this been a few years ago i would have purchased them. but im spoiled with HID's now.
            my last set of standard bulbs lasted many years
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
            X