New from North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from North Carolina

Just want to say HI, from NC.I was born and raised in NC,my wife is from NY and we have been married for 13 years.She bought a 91 mazda 323 hatchback,1.6 SOHC 8valve, 15years ago.It was a 1 owner with 108k miles.The owner had EVERY receipt from day 1,every tire,oil change,light bulb...EVERYTHING.She paid $1100 for the car,she owned it for 3yrs,when we sold it to a family friend who has down on his luck,we sold it for a $1000 with 185k on it.He showed up at our door almost a year and a half later, told me he needed to borrow a "dollar", he gave me the car back.I have been driving this car on and off for over 13years,it now has about 312k miles.My wife always said that if it blew up she would buy me another car,try as i might,and I drive the mess out of this car,I have'nt been able to stop it.Well,my power,mileage, and everything is just about done,but i cant sell it.So, i have joined this forum because I NEED HELP.I want to do an engine swap.I would like any advice YOU are willing to give.thinking about the 1.8L DOHC,not sure about the turbo.Can I use my stock 5spd trans and axles?I just need help.So feel free to give me what ever you have.Thanks, Tillman69

Welcome.

The 1.8 DOHC swap is a great starting point. You can use your F-series transaxle, but if you can grab the G-series that was attached to the DOHC engine along with said donor engine, that would be better. Better still is the Kia version, at least that's the word on the street around here. The drivetrain is the weak point of the car, so don't overlook it.

The difference between your gearbox and the G-series is that it's a little tougher, but still fairly weak, lower 5th gear ratio, and much lower final ratio. You may want to hang on to your current 5th gear and swap it into the other transaxle. I wouldn't, but I don't live on flat land.

Post some current/old pictures in a worklog or something.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Welcome!!!

are you mechanically handy??
      pictures of the car??
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
      X