Sending unit for Temperature gauge? 1988 SOHC 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending unit for Temperature gauge? 1988 SOHC 323

Read some threads and they talked about black sensors and green sensors. Which one do I need?

The gauge needle moves when I ground out the wire to the sensor so I am hoping a new sensor will fix the gauge.

The car is running and driving great. Looks good too. Pretty decent mileage. If the AC is fixable when summer comes, I stole this car.
    Last edited by Hatch; 03-06-2014, 10:28 AM.
    1988 SOHC 5-speed Mazda 323 SE Hatchback
    1990 MX-6 (in repair)

so under normal operating conditions the guage does not work with the wire connected??

and WTF do you mean you stole this car?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

^^my guess is that he got an awesome deal on the car

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Right on both counts. Gauge wasn't working at all until I cleaned the connection and tested by grounding. Now it works a little but not accurately.

One of the threads I read said that some part listings are wrong for temp sending units.

I got a great deal on the car. I have the title in my name.
        1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

3 temp sending units on the car , green is the injectorrr ( ecu ) grey is the cooling fan and the bare wire connector on the front of the head is the gauge

HEAT GAUGE.

1988 Mazda 323.
          Stock Code G6071851X ; G607-18-510; G60718510

Comment

Got the black sensor and installed it. I have a temperature gauge now. It reads lower than I thought it should and checking the temp with my multimeter I get low readings. Makes me wonder if the thermostat is doing its job. I guess it is next.
            1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

glad to hear it worked!!!
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I put in a new 195 degree thermostat and the dash temperature gauge reads in the middle of the range like I would expect. That is the good news. Checking the temperature at the thermostat housing with the surface probe on my multimeter I am still getting only 185 or so.

The radiator fan switch on the thermostat housing was in bad shape and the wire came out of it when I handled it. I grounded the wire so the fan wouldn't run all of the time and ordered a new switch. Since that is two bad temperature sensors out of three I played the odds and ordered the third one too.

I might need the third sensor (ECM) because now that the engine is getting up to temp it sounds really rich at idle sometimes. Blubbery, you know? It idles smoothly and then it is like a switch is thrown and it starts blubbering.

Put in a new air filter too while I was working that corner of the engine compartment.

I have been getting about 30mpg and am hoping for better when I get this worked out.
                Last edited by Hatch; 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM.
                1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

They sent the wrong fan switch. No biggie, I can run the AC if I need the radiator fan. I'll get the right switch.

The coolant temperature sensor for the ECM fixed the blubbery idle. (located in the intake manifold) That sensor came out in pieces too. I took off the air intake boot to get to the sensor and saw some intake seals that need work. That's next. I probably need a new thread for vacuum and intake leaks. I have an inconsistent idle speed. It idles slow after a warm start but seems to idle ok when I slow down and stop for a red light, etc.

My mileage is up to 32 mpg the last couple tanks since the new thermostat. Hoping for a little more with the new sensor and better mixture control.
                  1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

I popped a tire chasing a cow. Had to buy a new tire. How could I make that up?
                    1990 MX-6 (in repair)

Comment

any latest updates?

Comment

Working...
                      X