No announcement yet.

Celica GT4 trans in a BF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just do the bg gtx trans. Be reasonably nice to it and it will live. I ran more than that through mine pretty successfully and will some day again if ever I get time to finish installing turbo and manny and dp and and and and......
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Okay, firstly, as a matter of fact the GTX gearbox is weaker than the BFMR version if anything, so I don't know why on earth you would change to that. Secondly, I'm looking at doing the same thing, I originally wanted to go for the ST205 box, but after a little more research found out that space might be an issue. However, you can get a shorter version from the toyota RAV 4, which does unfortunately have narrower gears, but has to be tougher than the mazda box! I've heard its still fine for around 300KW ATW, so with the light BFMR Im planning on going down this route, worst case can always look at going celica further down the track anyway as all the other mods needed to fit it are the same.
      So, AFAIK, its going to be pretty similiar to the BG conversion, except I'll be going to GTR hubs and I'm wondering if the angle/position of the engine is going to change much, as I am extremely limited on space as it is, don't even have the room for a raidiator fan haha.
      Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? Any input would be much appreciated!
      Cheers
      Dan

Comment

The angle of the engine shouldn't change much using the proper adapter plate for the transmission, in fact I read somewhere that the celica axles bolt right in but you need to do something about the intermediate bearing. Still going to have to cut into the pan if you stay strictly ST205 but if you use the rav4 t-case you may not have to. I will look up a few things for you bear with me.
        Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

Rallycar egine sits about an inch higher and less than that forward and we pushed it all back to the firewall to the point of losing the speedo cable housing.
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

Here you go referring to the rav4 t-case swap, take note in the difference in size from the st205..

Converting Rav 4 to V6 3VZ-FE & E53 Transaxle to AWD using E250 centre differential

And on my page a few things to look at for a quick read... Don't mind the posts about my hand it has finally healed and I am getting back on track with my build, just got to take care of a couple of funerals first.

Comment

Hey Jay just out of sheer curiosity why does the rally engine sit differently first I have heard of it...

Comment

If you want the rear propshaft to come out nice and straight, which I did, that is how it has to sit.

Comment

Hmmm interesting. yeah I knew you could use the stock celica shafts, hence needing the bigger hubs. Modified Prop shaft with celica ends. I didnt think you can use the rav 4 transfer on the 205 gearbox though so thats interesting, I thought due to the output ratios it would basically end up toast. Not so much the bolting up of it.... More worried about whether the box will actually FIT between the chassis rails. Cheers for the info will have a read tonight
                  Last edited by WRCBFMR; 12-10-2014, 05:49 AM.

Comment

The center differential ratio is the same in the first generation rav4 as the st205 you can take the rear differential and bolt it straight into the first generation rav4. All GT4 diffs have the same ratio to. just to clarify, and the second gen ie 2001 to 2005 will bolt up to but you have to tear everything apart to get a good final ratio damn things are low geared.

Comment

Been doing a ton of research on it...

Comment

yeah just looked into it today, from what I can tell you could use the whole rav 4 gearbox, and im not sure but think you could swap out the rav4 gears for the toyota levin/trueno ones.... are the FWD and AWD boxes the same inside?? shafts gears etc? food for thought....

Comment

They're the same housing different setup. You read them at all? It's actually quite easy. Take a camry/solara v6 E153 transmission making sure they have the 1MZFE engine from mid 90's or later, and take a first gen rav4 transmission and pull them apart. Put the final ring gear from the camry/solara and install it on the rav4 E250F front/center differential and putting it all into the camry/solara box and slide the rav4 transfer box on pretty much your done, recommended to replace all the bearings while your in there oil seals etc etc. Read the full site regarding the awd swap you will understand from the e-series transmission.
                          Last edited by Pashka0788; 12-12-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

2nd is starting to grind, need a replacement. Anyone know anyone with a trans? lol.

Comment

I have a spare in case mine breaks.

Comment

Celica box does fit in a bf with the b6t, i know of 2 in New Zealand that have been done

Comment

Working...
                                X