No announcement yet.

4WD BJ Familia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pictures of what I've done to the car.

HKS EVC.

Trimmed automatic brake pedal.

BG shift knob.

Painted part of the front emblem.

Engine bay wash, slightly modified BG GTX strut tower bar & Magnecor 8.5mm racing plug wires. I didn't get the blue bg strut bar with car so I installed the bg strut bar that I had in storage.

B4.

After

Clean Ceiling (wish I had taken a b4 pic to show how dirty it was).

Installed 2.5" muffler pan.

Here are some pix of the 4wd backend.

I've located a Toyota Rav drivetrain setup of gearbox, transfer case, axles, driveshaft & diff and I'm in the process of acquiring it to reinstall the 4wd setup. Only thing remaining to acquire before I can start the conversion is the 4wd gas tank as the previous owner is unable to locate the whereabouts of the oem 4wd gas tank that was taken off the car.
    Last edited by mazkam; 01-28-2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Looking good sell me that rear end LOL

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
      HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
      Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

Dude. Those tires look cooked
        91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Haven't gotten to the tyres as yet as I'm sorting out the car little by little when I have some free time on weekends. I still have quite a few issues to sort out with the car but free time is the main thing holding me back.
          Last edited by mazkam; 07-15-2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I hear ya. The other day was the first chance I got to do something on my protege since I moved. Been way too long
            91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Just run a fuel cell. The stock sending unit/filter is a pos anyways..

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
              HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
              Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
                Looking good sell me that rear end LOL
                Only if I wasn't going the 4wd route. The previous owner scrubbed that idea and swapped the 4wd gas tank and installed a fwd gas tank when he did the bp-t engine swap.
                Last edited by mazkam; 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
                  Just run a fuel cell. The stock sending unit/filter is a pos anyways..

The car is my daily at the moment so I need all my trunk space. Since you've highlighted that the stock sending unit/filter is a pos, I could always look into 4wd gas tank from another make or I could run a aftermarket pump similar to how its done in the bf & bg Mazdas.

BTW does anybody have any info or link on how much power can the Toyota Rav4 4wd gearbox handle before the gearbox break? I was originally looking for the Celica or Caldina 4wd drivetrain setup when I came across the Rav4 drivetrain setup.

My whp goal with the 4wd setup is 360 - 420whp. Hopefully that will be enough for me to win the 12 sec class at my local drag meet.
                  Last edited by mazkam; 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I installed a Mazda RX7 B vaf to my bp-t engine swap BJ sedan. I got the car with vaf from a Toyota that previous owner said was from the 3sgte Celica GT4which is identical to RX B vaf with the only visible difference being the sticker that says Toyota. The car would repeatedly shut off whenever come to complete stop, so I had to slightly press the gas pedal to keep up the rev to prevent the engine from shutting off. It also took awhile to start up (3 attempts with 3 - 4 sec intervals) in the mornings or whenever it was off for long hours.

When I installed the RX vaf this morning the engine started on the first attempt and throttled without hesitation or shutting off. It put a bright smile on my face when I started it repeatedly and it throttled without me having to slightly press the gas pedal to prevent it from shutting off for the 1st time 4 weeks since owning this car.

I went for a short drive in community with 2 first to second gear pulls and the response felt a little bit more responsive. Only issue that I noticed was when I short shifted from 1st to 2nd at low rpm the car was a little hesitant in 2nd.... could be from shifting @ such a low rpm, other from that It was at normal driving.

I didn't do a long drive to test a 2nd to 3rd gear pull because I wasn't 100% sure if it was ok to run the bpt gtx ecu, gtr 440cc injectors with Rx7 B code vaf without tuning the vaf. One thing I'm sure about is that throttle response felt more responsive and the throttling was constant @ idle.

When I fitted the Toy vaf the issue came back, so that's my confirmation that the Toy vaf is the culprit. Upon inspection of the Toy vaf I notice that the air filter adaptor for vaf is blocking about 3/4 of the sensor so I I'm also wondering if that would cause the throttling issue.

Comparison pix of the Mazda RX7 B code vaf & Toyota vaf.

Toy vaf on right.

Mazda vaf on top.

Toy vaf on top.

As you can all see there is no visual difference between the Toyota vaf & Mazda RX7 B code vaf.
                    Last edited by mazkam; 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I strongly doubt you will be able to move enough air for your power goals through a flapperdoor restrictor box. Standalone and a map sensor. I've not heard anything good about the rav4 box. Things like "cut corners" and "narrow gearsets" keep popping up.
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Jay, when you mentioned "cut corners" are you talking about not putting enough r&d into the Rav4 gearbox? I'm not going to try and attain my power goals with the flapperdoor restrictor box. I already have my Megasquirt with accessories put aside for that when I'm ready for more power.

Comment

I am no rav4 gearbox expert, but when I looked into the swap it did not sound like it was built to the same level as the gt4 box. Even if that's true, I bet it's better that a bpt box. In any case I had a line on gt4 and no rav4 was to be found at the time. If this is something you really wanna nail down , I'll email the guy that built mine. He made the transmissions for the factory team when they ran Dakar so I spect he counts as an expert...
                          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Jay, I did a little research into the Rav4 driveline setup and I found that its good for 300 - 350 whp with a shorter gear ratio than the GT4 gearbox, its lighter overall than the GT4 package and from the looks of the one I looked at... the bp oil pan doesn't look like it needs to be modified to fit the smaller Rav4 transfer case nor the chassis needs to be touched to make room for the bp engine with the Rav4 box assembled. 340 whp with close ratio box should be good for a fun street car, but I doubt that will be enough whp to net me the 12 sec championship class on the 1/4 mile with a full interior car that weighs in @ 1280kg.

Here are some links with some useful info on the E code drivtrain & the Rav4 gearbox.

Toyota E code gearbox

Rav4 close ratio gearbox info.
                            (sorry for the old thread bump) So you took the E56 Final Drive: 4.235 (72/17) 1st (3.538); 2nd (2.045); 3rd (1.333); 4th (1.028) 5th (0.820) And you swapped in the ring and pinion gear from the E250f? Final Drive: 4.933 (74/15) 1st (3.833); 2nd (1.913); 3rd (1.258); 4th (0.918) 5th...

This is the blog that i came upon regarding a E154F Transmission Swap in a Rav4 with some info about the Rav4 E250F gearbox.

When planning my AR4 project I knew my stock E250F transmission was going to have to be replaced. The 3rd gear synchro was baddly worn on the downshift side (worked perfectly on upshift though, biz…

Hopefully these links will be helpful to you all.

On a different note..... This car have a modified Mazda shifter assembly installed (shifter rods were extended 3") so I installed a shifter that I had done the short shift modification to from back in the days of modifying my bf 323 gt. I'm not sure which gen or model Mazda the modified shifter assembly is from, but i do know the shifters are interchangeable upon inspection.

Left (stock) Right (modified)

There is no obvious visual difference after assembly although the shifter is shorter in the pix. The throws are noticeable shorter during shifting but its now making contact with the exhaust system due to the additional 1" length of the shifter so I'm gonna have to visit the muffler shop tomorrow to get that resolved. Other from the contact with the exhaust I'm please with how my install went.
                            Last edited by mazkam; 08-08-2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Did a little paint work in the engine yesterday.

Before.

After.

I will polish the lettering later this week then clear coat the camcover.

Comment

I recently purchase a 1988 323 gtx. It wasn't running when i purchased it and now fixed it.
                                So basically what i want to do is swap a fs20det from a mazdaspeed protege into the gtx.

1. From what i remember somebody swap a 323 4 door with a klde or ze meaning i should be able to swap the mazdaspeed protege engine as a front wheel drive since the klde or ze swaps into a mazdaspeed protege.

2. I also remember reading that mazdaspeed protege fs20det can possibly combined with a jdm celica awd trans. My plan is to do a haltech powered fs20det forged engine awd 323.

Basically im looking for a trans i can use with the fs20det and keep the car awd.

I have a lot of these part currently forging and building an fs20det already have a haltech platinum 1000... Just need a awd trans to start the process
                                MAZDASPEED PROTEGE BUILD
                                http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ebuild-Round-3

Comment

Working...
                                X