Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you eliminate the joint shaft with the longer cv axle on a 97 Protege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you eliminate the joint shaft with the longer cv axle on a 97 Protege?

I have a 97 Protégé LX 1.5L 5spd. I would like to know if I can eliminate the joint or intermediate shaft by installing the longer right axle that is available? I have been able to find the joint shaft only at dealers for around $200 and could save that with the longer shaft. Anyone out there tried this? Thanks

The intermediate shaft is there to reduce torquesteer. It's a nice thing to have. I've never tried bypassing it though, so I can't answer your question.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I am aware of the torgue steer, but there are models out there with the 36" axle and how bad can it be with a 1.5l, I am trying to save a couple hundred bucks to keep my clunker running.

Comment

I totally get that. Unfortunately I can't tell you what you need to know. Try searching/posting in the BHA drivetrain section.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
        X