2003 Protege Squirley handing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Protege Squirley handing

I have a 2003 Mazda Protégé that I've owned since 106k miles. Its about to hit 140k miles and have had numerous suspension/steering/brake parts replaced. I started with both front wheel bearings which ended up being replaced twice on both sides. Theres No howling what so ever anymore and there is no play in the front wheels.

I had the front calipers and brake hoses replaced with brand new units. I had the rear drum brakes serviced as well. There is currently NO pull when braking.

I had all four struts and strut mounts replaced. Also replaced one outer tie rod end on the passenger side.

The front sway bar links/bushings have been replaced twice, and are brand new MOOG.

I have tires less than 6 months old on the car, and the problem I have is the car is having a weird pull, almost feels like a worn suspension part. the handling isn't as crisp as it once was, and seems like I'm always over-correcting the steering to track straight down the highway. seems like the car is harder to control over 50 mph.

I rotated all the tires at all different directions to no avail, still getting the weird sensation.

I looked at my control arm bushings, while I can't get any movement out of them, the rear bushings on the front LCAs have one small tear, but the bushing stays in it's correct spot. It seems as if once a month if I brake very hard or hit a bump hard while turning, I get a slight "clunk".

Can these bushings cause my car to have squirrely handling? or could it be a wheel bearing again?
    R.I.P. 97 Proto LX> Car killed the deer, but the deer killed the car
    108,659 Mi.

2003 Mazda Protégé> 140k miles

I'm wondering if you ever determined what was wrong. I just bought my daughter a 2003 LX with 127K miles and am experiencing some similar things. Unfortunately, because the seller didn't have plates on the car I was not able to drive it much beyond her neighborhood, so I never got above 30 MPH or so where the issues are obvious. The car feels rather squirly at speed, like something is loose somewhere.

Just got it home tonight, so I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.
    salguod
    2015 Accord Hybrid - Gray, Wife's car
    2005 Mazda3 - Sunlight Silver, 5 door, daughter's car
    2003 Protege LX - Black, daughter's car
    2002 Protege - White, daughter's car
    2002 325Ci - Blue, mine
    1960 Thunderbird Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather, 17" Boyd Junkyard Dogs[/SIZE]

Comment

How are the steering rack bushings? Sounds like one of the few parts left to look at.

Comment

When I had steering issues, these were some of the symptoms:
        When I let off the Acceleration pedal, the car would feel like it lost traction, like one wheel went over some ice (this was during the scorching summer). the steering wheel would wiggle until I corrected it, or I resumed on the gas pedal. I too could not figure it out, rotating tires, new tires didn't do the trick.

what happened was I had some passengers in the car and I took a turn and my control arm came off the car. I don't recommend this experience. 1 of the bolts came off, I guess it wasn't properly torqued by the shop that worked on my car a month back. the axle shaft popped out of the transaxle and transmission fluid spilled all over. here is the post: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...ings-installed

if your bushings are so messed up and about to drop out of the control arm, I'd recommend replacing them. if you just see a hairline crack, they are rubber and will age as such, so they probably don't need to be replaced right now. there are some aftermarket polyurethane options. whiteline and superpro are 2, pedders might be on short supply as they've "officially" pulled out of the US market. make sure all bolts are torqued and use the recommended thread sealant/glue (like Loctite).

grease rubber bushings with dieletric grease or some other rubber grease. it might quiet your suspension clunks a little.

Comment

After reading this thread at Mazdas247, I leaning towards mine being a bad rear wheel bearing. Not happy that I need to fix something already, but at least it's a DIY repair.

I'll have to get it up in the air this weekend to check.
          salguod
          2002 325Ci - Blue, mine
          1960 Thunderbird Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather, 17" Boyd Junkyard Dogs[/SIZE]

Comment

Nowhere in that did I read a wheel alignment was done. After changing those parts an alignment should have been performed
            91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Are you talking about the rear bearing thread I linked? Nothing in the suspension that would affect alignment was removed there.

I'm more sure after driving it this morning that it's a rear bearing, LR to be specific. RH bends on the freeway can get real squirly, with the car dancing quite a bit. RH bends don't seem to be an issue. That points to a lot of lateral movement in the LR.
              salguod
              2002 325Ci - Blue, mine

Comment

Originally posted by salguod View Post
                Are you talking about the rear bearing thread I linked? Nothing in the suspension that would affect alignment was removed there.

I'm more sure after driving it this morning that it's a rear bearing, LR to be specific. RH bends on the freeway can get real squirly, with the car dancing quite a bit. RH bends don't seem to be an issue. That points to a lot of lateral movement in the LR.

Original post shows struts were changed and an outer tie rod was also changed. Those would change an alignment
                91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Ah, that makes more sense.

My problem has turned out to be excessive play in the lateral link to spindle connection. Digging into what I have to do to fix that.
                  salguod
                  2002 325Ci - Blue, mine

Comment

i know its probably a stupid question but have you checked the tire pressure?

Comment

Working...
                    X