323 gtx bearing spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323 gtx bearing spacer

Anyone have a clue on dimensions? Or even better.. anyone selling them? Replacing bearings all around and the passenger front was missing them.

Each spacer is stamped with a number from 1-22 or so. Each number corresponds with a thickness. The chart is in the Factory Service Manual (FSM). You will need the tool to determine the preload so you know which spacer to buy and I think they are still available at Mazda. You could give it a wild guess by which spacers are in the other knuckles.

Comment

Jeebus I knew I shoulda opened this thread. Shivers me timbers, thinkin back on having to do this job....
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
        Jeebus I knew I shoulda opened this thread. Shivers me timbers, thinkin back on having to do this job....

Anyone know what the damn tool looks like? Know anyone that is willing to loan this tool? I agree with AZGTX that it should not be a guessing game but in all honestly this car has been neglected so swapping any parts has not been done for sure.

Comment

I have the tool, I don't have a picture of it though. It's two stepped "washers" with a bolt through the middle. It's torqued to a certain spec, and then the resistance is measured with a dial type in-lb tq wrench and compared to a chart. The spec is actually quite broad

I've done quite a few of these on the Capri, and the spacer is always one of the three right in the middle of the range. You'd probably be fine with the middle spacer if you didn't want to try measuring
          1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
          1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
          www.werbatfik.com

Comment

The ones on the rear were 09.

sent from the porcelain throne

Comment

Soory man. I never had that tool. I was lucky and whatever spacers were in the car were at least close to the right ones. Like Rocketman says, go with a midrange and go kinda light on the preload.
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                I have the tool, I don't have a picture of it though. It's two stepped "washers" with a bolt through the middle. It's torqued to a certain spec, and then the resistance is measured with a dial type in-lb tq wrench and compared to a chart.
                Would you achieve the same thing just installing a drive axle and torquing that up to the correct value (I think it's 180ftlb or something)?

Comment

No as that would require the hub to be pressed into the bearings. Not what you want to do if it has to be taken apart...ruins the bearings. The tool slides thru the bearings.

Comment

^^ Correct. I'll take a picture of it when I'm down at my shop next. The "washers" it uses slip inside the bearings & center everything, without needing pressed together so measurements can be taken.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

^^ Correct. I'll take a picture of it when I'm down at my shop next. The "washers" it uses slip inside the bearings & center everything, without needing pressed together so measurements can be taken.
                      A photo would be great, thanks. Hopefully it's something that can be made up as a tool.

Comment

Haven't been down to my shop yet but here's a pic of the tool I grabbed online:

Part # T87C-1104B

If you've got access to a lathe you can easily make these. You'll need at least one spacer to start with though so you know which way to work. Could probably machine your own spacer too while you're at it

EDIT: This is part of a kit with many other tools that are quite handy, one is for pressing out the hub, a few are seal drivers, etc... all quite handy. These kits sometimes go real cheap on eBay but you also need the in-lb dial torque wrench ( surprisingly hard to find, I found one online from a bicycle shop)
                        Last edited by Rocketman; 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Haven't been down to my shop yet but here's a pic of the tool I grabbed online:

Part # T87C-1104B

If you've got access to a lathe you can easily make these. You'll need at least one spacer to start with though so you know which way to work. Could probably machine your own spacer too while you're at it

EDIT: This is part of a kit with many other tools that are quite handy, one is for pressing out the hub, a few are seal drivers, etc... all quite handy. These kits sometimes go real cheap on eBay but you also need the in-lb dial torque wrench ( surprisingly hard to find, I found one online from a bicycle shop)
                            Rocketman, any chance u could put up the main dimensions of that tool? Would help heaps! Thanks

Comment

Sorry! Disregard my last, I've found them. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X