Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMT's '94 EU BHA 323F Astina Lantis...

Hi Protegé fans,

since i've just acquired my unicorn wheels for my BA i thought i'd share just the two pics...

If you're interested, i'll post a bit more of the story...
    Just in short, had tha car for 13 years now, loved it for most of the time and just last year swapped the engine after falling a bit out of love but now i'm back in and happier than ever

Have a nice sunday,
    Chris

That thing looks pristine! Very nice.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Thank you.
      I just thought, i'd post a few pictures of my history with this car

Last edited by HMT; 06-06-2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

So, that was a rough chronological overview over the years 2001-2014, i hope you enjoyed it

Cheers,
        Chris

Comment

Wow, four years since the last update...phew. Almost forgot about this.
          Due to EU data protection laws, i reanimated my old blog and shifted project worklogs over there.
          In case anyone's still interested, i'll post the links here as well.

The car still lives and after 3 unfortunate years of daily / winter duty, I now got the means and motivation to make it nice again.
          It started last month when my wife and I went on a trip for our anniversary with it and initiated by a cracked radiator, I've since taken the engine bay apart and started cleaning, painting and replacing stuff.

Note the new plates which indicate: no more winter duty. Ever again...
          Initial start:
          Due to several new jobs and two relocations as well as personal reasons, Project L has been on hold for a while and even worse, had to endur...

And last update:
          Progress is slow but steady on the Lantis. In the last few weeks, i cleaned the engine bay, treated some minor surface rust, removed the he...

Since i only have time to work on the car for an our every other evening, I'm taking it slowly. I also have other cars to take care of so expect no big leaps here...more like slow and steady droplets...

Comment

The car runs again

See this link for more:
            Last weekend, I managed to get the Lantis back on the road while Fulk was visiting to get his timing belt fixed. First of, an adapt...

Hope to get the rear disc brakes sorted out next.

Comment

glad to hear its running again
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks. Still dealing with an exhaust leak, dead rear brakes, really bad creaking noises from the front somewhere that i could not localize yet and many more small issues that need to be addressed before tackling the big stuff like paint or boost
                And then there are a few other old Mazdas that require attention too...

Comment

In the meantime, this happend:

The last few times I drove the Lantis, sporadic misfire, flat spots during acceleration and running on three cylinders occured, albeit so ir...

Have been experiencing some issues with the engine. Feels like it's not getting enough fuel now so I ordered a set of NB2 injectors and will swap them over. Also will change the distributor due to misfiring issues.

Comment

mighty white/lean burn on those plugs!!!
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Yes, thanks, that's why I got different injectors.
                      I've been running the car on 10% Ethanol and I think that's one of the reasons for the look.

Comment

Fitted the new injectors to address the acceleration flat spots / slight leaning out issues.

To fix the issue of flat spots at 2-3000 rpms under acceleration, I got a hardly used fuel rail off a 2002 MX-5 1.8 and swapped my red 260cc...

Comment

cc rating?

EDIT: clicked the link. so the rating change was only 5cc? was there a spray pattern difference? or just plain tired injectors needing to be replaced?

Comment

So the rated flow rate is only 5cc different, correct. Still, the new injectors now match the OEM rating and the car runs a lot better with them. Did not have this issue with the old headers so maybe it has to do with pressure difference, not to sure about that. Also yes, the spray pattern is different from OEM (as in finer vapor).
                            This injector thing really is strange on the old Mazdas. They run incredibly rich at high rpms but are also very sensitive to injector changes at low rpms.

What else is new? I finally got around to the rear disc conversion Really took me long enough...

--> https://driving-culture.blogspot.com...onversion.html

Comment

dont worry about swapping over the proportioning valve. you are actually better off with the drum proportioning valve. it sets the balance a little heavier in the rear as opposed to the disc version. which is ideal for brake balance with these chassis.

thumbs up & good work!!

Comment

Working...
                              X