Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a 97 Protege DX model 1.5L engine and it has a strange misfire problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 97 Protege DX model 1.5L engine and it has a strange misfire problem.

First off this is a bit long winded. And I apologize but I am out of ideas as to what to look at next.

The car runs good for the most part. It has over 125k miles on it. When I got the car there was a constant code for the EGR valve. Pulled it off and cleaned it out and the code went away. Soon after I noticed that if I let the car idle for more than a couple minutes (no matter what the weather conditions) it would start to flash the cel light. Upon a restart the cel will become solid and show a code for cylinder 1 misfire and it will have a really bad stutter and the exhaust gets a little thick and smells something awful. After a while of driving and a few restarts the cel goes away and the stutter is still there but is barely noticeable.

I have replaced all spark plugs, replaced the plug wires, distributor rotor and cap. The plugs are gapped properly and show no real sign of wear. I think there may be a vacuum leak. I can hear what seems to be a hiss under the hood over by the brake fluid reservoir, somewhere near there. However I'm the only one that can seem to hear it so maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be causing the misfire?

intake hose is always a suspect

use tape on it....

Comment

Working...
    X