Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about OEM option Momo steering wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about OEM option Momo steering wheel.

For the people who have an OEM option Momo wheel: how thick is it compared against a stock wheel? And is it prone to becoming twisty/squishy like the stock one, or is it reliably firm?

Thanks. I'm considering looking for one.
    Last edited by me109; 07-04-2014, 02:43 PM. Reason: Only 36 views in a week.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Momo wheel thickness measures 1" at the top and is as thick as 1 1/8" on the lower portions between the spokes. Overall diameter is approx 14 3/4". Wheel is stiff. The center is squishy. I don't have a stock wheel to compare it to. I'm led to believe based on the fact that it is a 20+ year old car (and you're saying the stock wheel becomes squishy) the Momo wheel stands up better than the stock one.

Comment

Wow, thanks! That was a very helpful and unexpected reply.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Comment

You're welcome. I was browsing this sub looking for info on seatbelts, saw this thread and thought "hey, that car I just bought has MOMO stamped in the bottom center of the steering wheel". How do these dimensions compare to the stock wheel?

Comment

I don't know. I think they're close. I'll measure tomorrow.
          1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

I measure 27mm ±.3 all around.

And I forgot to measure the OD.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Probably the same OD. It sounds like they're the same dimensions. I could dig around for a pair of calipers and put them in metric. Real question is the squishy factor.

Comment

They are very comparable. 25.4mm = 1", so a little over an inch. Metric is what I have on hand at the house. I keep my inch calipers at work.

If you want to experience the squishyness first-hand, just go to a junkyard. They are all like that by now. It's like holding a freshly killed squid and using it to steer a car. Not very pleasant.
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

Not a fan of digital metric/inch calipers?

Steering wheel grip is an oval. Diameter orthogonal to the face of the steering wheel measures just under 30mm. Diameter parallel to the face of the steering wheel measures just under 27mm. Eyeballing it with a tape measure proved inaccurate.

Will get to a junkyard soon.

Comment

Never trusted digitals. Don't like the way they move.

The diameter orthogonal to the face is serrated, so there will be a major and minor thickness when measuring that axis. I started to do that, but stopped myself because I didn't think that level of detail would be necessary or appreciated in this context. It seems I was wrong. Sorry.

In any case, I think you've answered my question. I had been concerned the Momo might be too thick for my taste, but, based on your description and measurements, I don't think that will be the case. Thank you.
                    1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                    X