I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help

I have a 2002 mazda protege and sunday I went to fill up the tank because it was empty and as soon as I started my car it was is idleing really rough like it wantes to stall and I push the gas pedal and it didnt want to go any where.. thought it could be the mass airflow sensor bought and replaced it and obviously it wasnt the problem... can someone please give me some advice on what to do.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Has your MIL(malfunction indicator light) come on? If so, get the OBD (onboard diagnostic) system read with a code reader and if any code(s) show up, it, or they, will point you in the right direction as to what repairs are needed. If you do get a code or codes, post the numbers here and we can give you some help.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I should mention that some places like Auto Zone will read your OBD system for no charge and give you a list of any codes that show up.

Happy Motoring!
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

My check engine light is on and has been for a while. But I did go to the part store and got trouble code P0113

Comment

Oh and thanks for replying.

Comment

You're welcome.

P0113 indicates the IAT (intake air temperature) circuit has high input.
            According to the FSM (factory service manual), the most likely cause is a malfunctioning or defective IAT sensor.

The function of this device is to measure the temperature of the intake air to aid in maintaining the correct air/fuel ratio.

I would check this device out first.

Good luck.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I found the sensor (thanks to google) and pulled it out and will replace it..lol Hoping it fixes the problem. I will let u know how it goes. Thanks again for ur help.

Comment

Ok I have replaced the IAT SENSOR and another sensor that is connected to my heating coil.. I took it to tire kingdom and paid them to tell me what was wrong.. they said mass airflow which I just replaced and my ignition coil number 3 so I replaced all they told me and am still having the same problem.. I have no idea what to do now.. very frustrated.

Comment

I would ask around and find a reputable mechanic that is honest. Don't throw money at the problem.

With my idle rough I changed all the vacuum hoses, intake manifold gasket, timing belt and associated components, temperature coolant sensor.

Have someone you trust do a smoke check in your engine for bad vacuum. You can also use a can of throttle body cleaner and spray around your intake manifold to see if there are any vacuum leaks.

Comment

It all started when you got gas? Sounds like there may have been water in their gas. Drain your tank and put clean fresh gas in it.

Comment

We got it to run and idle but as soon as you turn on the ac it starts spitting and sputtering and putting it in gear also spits and sputters..

Comment

The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve is a known weak spot on these cars (and quite a few others); the idle air control (IAC) valve is also a common cause of similar problems. Has your MIL come back on? If so, get the codes scanned again at a place like Auto Zone/Advance Auto Parts since they don't charge for reading the codes. If not, I would have someone thoroughly clean both aforementioned valves and see if there's any change. Also, redheddude222 does have a point. Water in the gas is also a possible culprit. A bottle of fuel stabiliser in the gas tank wouldn't hurt either.
                        1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Working...
                        X