No announcement yet.

1993 Protege LX Brake Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH yeah I totally agree. Car now rides like a new car. You can feel the road and it is just right. I got the end links installed last night. I tried to get to the sway bar bushings, but couldn't get to the fronts. Any incite on these would be helpful! I could barely just reach the bolt with the wheels off. But the endlinks were really bad.

After the then struts and springs the car improved over 100% now with the new end links on the rear and front its another 50% better again. I just can't describe how much better it is.

One of the first jobs I usually do on vehicles with over 100k miles is the shocks/struts, and the sway bar bushings and end links. It always tightens everything back up! I love the poly bushings vs the rubber as I like that tight feel.
    1993 Mazda Protege LX All stock with 121,000 Miles

Comment

I still can't get over how much better this car drives now! Its like a new car.

Oh and I went to see my buddy a retired body guy and he will fix my rust for me for a few hundred bucks! I will get some better pics up of it. But its just the passenger side above the rear tire. He will cut out the rust and weld in new metal, and get it ready for paint. Can't wait for that. I hate rust.

Comment

^ be sure to get before/after pictures of the repair work for all of us to enjoy
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
          ^ be sure to get before/after pictures of the repair work for all of us to enjoy
          Sorry didn't get hardly any pics as it was dark when I was doing most of the work. I will try to get some more pics of the ride up soon. Here are my old end links. I had to cut most of them out. They were shot!

Aww new parts.
          Last edited by wolfy; 09-29-2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Just an update

Alright old rusty metal cut out and new metal put on. I will be doing the painting on this one myself. I will post up some pics of that later when I get a chance to do it. Glad to have my rust fixed!!!
            Last edited by wolfy; 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I see the outer sheet is replaced.... what about the inner liner sheet?
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Yes, he cut out the rot on the inner sheet as well, welded in new metal and most importantly put a nice sealant on there so it won't rust again. Its some type of epoxy sealant. Looked really good. Then on the inner wheel well he also put on some under coating for further protection. Great guy that does awesome work. Retired body guy

Comment

i need good body work done to mine. I should take it in one of these days

Comment

Rust fixed! I called up my guy that did my door on my 52 GMC Truck a few days later he came back with this! Cut out all the old metal and cut and formed a new piece and got it in primer and ready to paint for me. He did a great job!

So to paint it he gave me directions on how to paint it up.
                    Guide coat, 240 dry
                    guide coat 400 dry
                    guide coat 800 wet
                    guide coat 1500 wet

Then clean and paint. I am just an amateur but it did turn out good. This paint is very difficult to spray with a can as it is a gold champagne color meaning it has gold, brown, grey and silver plus flake in it. I had O'Rileys mix it up and put in in an aerosol for me.

Color came out darker as my car is 21 years old and has obviously faded a bit. But it looks much better then the rust hole. The color is a bit splotchy. I could see it coming out the can that way. Yes I shook it for over 5 min straight and often. My guy told me that is normal for that kind of paint coming out of a can. No big deal as I don't have a spray gun or equipment for this.

Last was 3 coats of clear. It is very shinny at least In the next few days I will clean the car and see what it looks like. But for now it is sure nice to be rust free!

Remember this is a car I bought for $700! I have less then $300 in the rust repair including paying my guy.

Doing this work really makes you respect the good body guys out there!
                    Ok now on to the pics

Started out as

New metal formed and put in. This wasn't me

Before filler

After filler and a coat of primer

After first stage of sanding

After a few more stages of sanding

Final stages

Comment

Continued
                      First coat of paint

after a few more coats of

Some coats of clear

You can see its a bit darker as my original color has faded over the last 21 years. Some shots after all the tape was removed.

Much better then this

Comment

that looks 1000 times better! job well done sir!

Comment

Thanks FE! Its not professional for sure but at least it is much better then it was.

Comment

proper man. well done. i like the progress you're making on this car. Keep it up
                            1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                            Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                            "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Thanks Hazard. It sure isn't a pro job, but for sure it is so much better then it was before. At least it should last a long time as all the rust was cut out and resealed and replaced by new metal. That was done by a pro. My paint... Well at least it is the same color, pre-faded of course and it is shinny

Another thing i just did was replaced the spark plug wires. The wires looked almost brand new, but they were junk. Must have been the cheepo ones. I replaced them with BWD wires and let me tell you, no more miss in the AM when it is humid outside. I replaced the cap, rotor and plugs a few months ago. I didn't do the wires because they looked new. But the quality of the BWD's were much better then whatever was on there. The car feels to rev much smoother as well. Very happy with it!

Comment

Ok so the car is off with my Uncle now. He is borrowing it for a while. He got rear ended in his car so I loaned him mine. Here are some pics after I got it all cleaned up after driving it in the rain for a few days and all the body work. It was pretty dirty. This color does hide it well though.

When I first got it!

Now Much cleaner and more shine, thanks to my PC and Zaino! And the best part, no rust!

Comment

Working...
                                X