March 2nd 2014
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1979633_10151891488146058_1593273139_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1271986
    1992 EGT 5-Speed - $700
    Happy Early Birthday!? Again?
    That's what it looked like the day I got it. Goal was to use it's guts as a donor to get The Boss up and running. It ran and drove quite alright. Motor was decent, but the transmission was another story. No 3rd or 4th gear. It does however come with an extra BP and 5-speed. He's some drag racing kid, and wanted to build it to be a drag car.

Previous owners girlfriend managed to slide off the road and end up on the passenger side in a ditch recently, so there is a minor dent in the roof, but no frame damage.

Suspension is pretty much toast. All 4 corners are about done, all the steering but the rack itself is in need of fresh bits.

PO mentioned a laundry list of recent new parts on there. Belts, plugs, wires, hoses, brakes, fluids. Just about everything regularly maintenance would require.

Today (July 15th)
    The Boss has gone to the great yard in the sky (or just Vantucky) Caused too much trouble having two cars sit around, not being used. Oh, the EGT died on my way to work 4 weeks ago, and was parked since on the street, seeing as I wasn't able to diagnose the problem.

Towed it to a shop recently, and discovered the issue, along with a laundry list of things they found wrong. That list the PO supplied of 'fresh bits'... Yeah, forget it all. Just going to pretend he never mentioned it.

Drove it around for 3 days, and to get it smog tested, where it ended up overheating. Radiator fan never kicked on.

Did I mention it had 3 radiator flushes? Yeah, PO took piss poor care of it, and basically mud was coming out of the radiator.

Name:	1507164_10151994043781058_383213892417434059_n.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1271987

Well, passed smog!!! Got my new tags!! Immedtialy towed it to the shop. Better safe then sorry. Avoid damage to the head. And the car hopefully comes out of the shop this week? Actually, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to provide funds until next payday as I'm budgeting airline tickets first with the girl.
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Plans:

While driving the EGT around as the Boss was dead, I really started growing to like this thing, while still planning on only using it as a donor.... That has changed

A reliable daily to start with. Just get fresh bits to get it up and running safely as soon as possible.

Likely stock suspension all around to start with at least.

I have collected a short throw shifter to go in, once the transmission is tended to.
    Replace all bushings
    Power Window Swap
    MX3 Recaros - already in
    Mount HAM/CB radios
    Roof rails & basket
    RMM grille
    Swap out wheels for Bottlecaps
    Manual Seat Belts

Aesthetically, I'm aiming for this in the very near future

Name:	10475697_10152127735766058_5487813696139825401_n.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1238763

Just with the BMW Bottlecaps instead, as I already have them.

Name:	10527892_10152127740481058_3451944653397434601_n.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1238764

Loooooooooooooong term.
    I'd LOVE to turn this one into a stage car, and find myself a white EGT, 5-spd, with M/R and call it a day.
    I do plan on actually pursuing the rally spec bits from Jim for this car sooner than later.

Regardless, it will be seeing proper stages as I still have my Rally Jobs to do.
    Last edited by worldhazard; 07-15-2014, 11:23 PM.
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Dam, that a lot of crud in the radiator. My first thought is replacing the radiator, use heavy duty cleaner to clean out that system and reverse flush the heater core seperately; plus replace the thermostat also to be safe.

Comment

New radiator is standing by. Planning new hoses and the works. Oh, ill also be looking for motormounts. I know of jons that Jim has, the passenger side, but didnt someone else come up with another?

Comment

Well. No real progress has happened. Ish. No pics for now at least. Stil looks the same. I will however do a lot, at once, when I get the time. Looking to replace the trans next week, as well as a fresh cooling system. From there, it will be gettingthe electronics working in the meantime, and suspension up to snuff.

I decided this scort WILL turn life as a rally car, in due time. Seeing as it stick around long enough. Its not the car I want as a daily, and should be relatively easy to get into rally trim.

It will be a slow process, so it will be the daily. I imagine up to two years for competition ready.i wont have the money to enter events for a while, so, as the previous beasts have been, it will just have to take some proper abuse in the meantime.

Comment

ebay full alloy rad????
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

meh. picked up a replacement from the parts store. I am kinda tossing around the idea of ebay fans, but no 100% comfortable with that

Comment

Got the EGT on a lift for the first time. What a mess....

The ball joints are good! that's likely the only good thing that came from this.

Getting the cooling system re-done this week and transmission swapped out.

Will need fresh struts/springs/bushings/tie rods, axles, motor mounts, ebrakes cables, brake pads (proly do rotors as well just cuz)

So, for what rally proven bits I can't afford first, I'll be getting oem replacements. Also will def need jims 4pt brace asap with a skid plate. The pan is just too damn low.

Hopes the engine really is turning out to be the only good thing about this car. yikes

Comment

Comment

whoa..... missing the nut for the rear engine mount. & missing the sway bar bracket. (i have one here btw if you need it)
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I would like to consider Phase I complete.
                      Cooling system replaced with brand new bits. Fan wired for always on.
                      5-Speed replaced - and worked pretty darn well.

Also got around to replacing the timing belt, water pump, all belts. Motor mounts have been filled.

Phase II - Steering & Suspension
                      Replacing Tie Rods
                      Bushings all around
                      Sway Bar endlinks
                      Figure out if the PS pump is what's leaking - if so, fix/replace
                      Ball Joint replacement
                      Wheel Bearings & Hub Assemblies where needed
                      Struts and Springs are where I'm stuck at. I thought about just replacing with OE goodness for now until I can get around to affording proper rally suspension... But then, why spend a couple hundred bucks when that could have been used towards the suspension? I don't plan on going after the rally spec gear for a while... so I'm a bit torn.

Phase III - Brakes
                      Replace Pads
                      Upgrade Rotots
                      SS Braided Lines
                      Fresh Fluid/Bleed
                      Speed Bleeders

Phase IV- Car Audio
                      Replace speakers all around - nothing special
                      Source a head unit that has BT, USB & Aux in, in the rear.

Phase V - Aesthetic Appeal
                      Been collecting parts, and will continue. Then, 1 day when the time is right, I'll get it all done, and the car will be a bit different.

Phase VI - Rally Prep

Between all of this, I'll get around to dropping the Short Throw Shifter in, hopefully be able to successfully remove the gauge cluster and replace the lights (all are out but 1). Diagnose and fix the rear window defroster, replace steering column switches. Oh yeah, and replace the parking brake rear cables. They're both snapped. Would be cool if I can complete the MX3 lower dash/console swap too!

Also, seeing as I can find a spot to work on a spare BP, I'd like to rebuild one to be so fresh and so clean. Have one standing by, just need to find a place to keep it/work on it.

Comment

are you taking pictures along the way??

Comment

When there is something that looks different, yeah. But for the mechanical stuff, at least until things get cleaned up under the hood, not particularly. lol

Comment

Name:	0905141725.jpg
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	1238931

Parts continue to pile-up.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to it this month believe it or not. Time is something I never seem to have.

Comment

Was that for sale in the Portland area?
                              Not What you build, But HOW.

Comment

Working...
                              X