About idle in P5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About idle in P5

Hello there, also I got another question about why the idle is not ruff when I got the ac on? With the ac off idle is terrible. Sorry my car is a 2002 Protege5.

My '97 is the opposite. Terrible with A/C on, smooth(ish) with A/C off.

Comment

I have a digital tach. With the engine fully warmed up and all accessories off, with the AC off the idle speed transitions from 690 rpm to 700 rpm. With the AC on, the idle speed is 730 rpm, all measurements within factory specs.

It's possible that the higher rpm with AC on permits smooth running but the lower rpm with AC off produces roughness because some other engine component is faulty - perhaps plugs or wires?

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

twowheels check your EGR valve, it may need cleaning or is stuck!
        Irishkev check your idle speed control motor!

The EGR stabilises idle speed under normal conditions but when A/C is on the ISC adds fuel and raises the idle speed slightly!

Comment

I've checked/cleaned/tested all those valves and sensors. Swapped stuff with my '98, the '98 still runs smooth while the '97 stumbles.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments, an update of what I did. Replace spark plug, wires and coils, clean EGR, new MAF, clean AEM cold air intake filter, then start having the PO301 code, then I swap the coils and still have that same code. I think the fuel injector # 1 is bad only at idle, so next step is new fuel injectors. Of what I been reading from other members this Mazda engines are a piece of crab and have a lot of issues but because I really like the car I will spend some money on it to see what happens. Thanks guys I let you know when I replace the injectors.

Comment

Working...
            X