Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a no start GTX

Car: 1992 Familia GTX (JDM)

Problem: No start, no spark at plugs, no spark at distributor, tested coil resistances within spec, no switching signal to coil, changed ignitor.

Previous problems: While driving over 50km/h car would stutter when going over large bumps. Basically the engine would start to die and tach would drop instantly to zero. Car would then "start" up again. Engine would also sometimes start or no start, at random (sometimes waiting 10 min would "fix" it).

I've tested the spark, there no spark at the plug, none going into the distributor and no signal telling the coil to switch. The coil seems to be fine as both resistances are correct. However there doesn't seem to be a signal telling the coil to switch on. I'm pretty sure fuel is getting to the engine because the oil smells a bit like gas.

Is there a short somewhere? I was thinking that because the rpms would drop it could be the cam sensor/crank sensor? Any help would be appreciated.

You get to chase down distributor signal all the way from it to teh ECU and everything in between. Good luck. The stalling out over bumps thing implies a loose wire somewhere. Bad grounds are always suspect for things like this.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the Distributor to Ecu wiring or Distributor to Grounds, that or one of your connectors within that same paths isn't fully connected.

Comment

How would i check the ground to the distributor?

Comment

Chase the wiring and make sure there are no breaks, and check where the grounds end that there are no crusted and it has a good connection to the body or motor. (Have a BF so not sure how the BG wiring is)

Comment

Had something similar happen to me, went on a short drive and car died over a speed hump. No spark. Replaced all parts and nothing, turned out to be the signal wire to the tach got shorted and was killing the signal to the ignitor. Take a look at the tach when cranking the engine, does the needle bounce? If not then signal from disty to ecu is missing.Hope that helps.
            1989 BP Motor, 9.8:1 OEM Pistons, BP22 Intake Cam, VJ20, GTX Intake Mani, FMIC, Alloy Radiator, HKS SSQV I, K&N oil and air filters, Innovate LC-1, 10W50 Mobil

Comment

Working...
            X