All power loss, car sputtering/holding back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All power loss, car sputtering/holding back

Hello, I have a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege and I had an issue today, when i was driving i noticed the RPM's were dropping, i tried pushing the gas more but i kept losing PRM's and speed. The car felt like it had lost all power and was running real rough. I'm not forsure what the issue is so I'm here hoping for some help. I had a similar issue years ago with my civic and it was my cat, not sure if this would be the same issue or something else going on. I turned the car off for about 5 minutes and it started and ran just fine after that. I would like to get some input and try to fix the issue as its my daily driver. Maybe MAF or another sensor??? Any help is greatly appreciated and i thank you in advance.

Check the egr those early 2000's bastards were notorious for egr failure and blockage. The egr should be under the throttle body on the right.

Comment

Is the check engine light on?

Comment

Ill check out the EGR and no check engine light. When I get off of work i am going to have the codes ran to see if there are any pending codes that might tell me something.

Comment

Good idea, let me know how it turns out!

Comment

ok so last night i pulled the egr and it was decently caked in carbon build up so i went a head and cleaned it up good. I plan to hopefully get it installed tonight if i can get a new gasket for it and go from there. I'm also going to check ecu for pending codes to see if there are any or if its telling me anything before it turns on a check engine light which i was surprised did not come on last time. I appreciate the help and will keep you informed on how it goes. If i get no luck from the codes or egr ill almost assume cat as a dealer told me it was going bad but i had no signs of it so i never replaced it.

Comment

Make sure the valve opens and closes freely before installing on the car or it was all a waste of time
              91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

ok will do however i have never messed with an egr valve before do i just want to press on the valve inside and make sure it moves? Or is their a certain way to test them?

Comment

There are a handful helpful YouTube videos on how to test the valves if you are interested, the few times I have encountered this problem I just say shag it and swap it with a new egr (about $140 in Ontario Canada). It is worth it to clean er up to save the cash, make sure to DEFINITELY change the gasket with a new one haha. Goes without saying

Comment

Thanks, So i cleaned up teh egr, made sure it worked ok, put a new gasket on and all was golden for about 3/4 days. Then today on my way to work the car did its total shut down again. I was able to get a code reader to see what codes are pending and its making me think that maybe i have a bad coil or something as all codes say something about bank 1 lean. However i do have a new wastegate on the way as i know i need a new one so maybe that has part in the issues im having. I have not had a chance to look up these codes yet.

P0031 HO2 Heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 1

P0171 System too lean bank 1

P0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire

P0660 Intake manifold tuning valve control circuit bank 1 open

Comment

I bought new coils last night and plan to put them in tonight, we will see how it goes. When i first got the car i did timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, all new fluids and filters, so now ill try coils.

Comment

Working...
                      X