Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard brake lines unibody replacement on 4WD Protege.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard brake lines unibody replacement on 4WD Protege.

So I acquired a 90 4WD pro that's a bit on the rusty side. I drove it one day, got it home and found brake fluid under the drivers rear door. Turns out the lines where pretty rusty and burst. now Im looking at replacing them. What Im hoping to find or if anyone else has done it, Pictures and an idea of what all has to be removed. From the looks of it, the lines run from the brake master to the proportioning valve on the rear diff carrier/subframe. Does the rear subframe have to be dropped? If so, does that include the fuel tank to be dropped as well?

Any detailed pics of your under car shots would be greatly appreciated with any info on how its done! First 4WD pro, coming from BF GT's and GTX's.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

standard hardline replacement. your best bet is to run all the way from the firewall back. buy a spool of 25-50ft & just replace all of the lines, one at a time.
    on the FWD at least you can drop the subframe some without causing too much stress/breaking the lines to the proportioning valve.
    the gas tank stays in place last i can remember.**

tips to note. get a line wrench (10mm) always tighten before you try to loosen them. it'll save you thousands of cusswords.
    torching the fittings before hand & spraying them with PB blaster also - this is almost a given if anything is rusty enough to fail.

best of luck
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well, fortunately, I have access to a set of clean lines from a parts car. I'm going to try and just swap them out. But I'm just hoping I don't have to disassemble the entire car to replace them. I've got the tools, just not quite this specific model know how. Oh well, I will be jacking it up next week to get it done. Still appreciate the input. Thanks Ryan. Any more info is encouraged.
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Working...
      X