No announcement yet.

"Amy" - 93 Protege DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would advise you to never use anti seize on the spark plug threads..... or in fact on anything. you can find much better greases that will retain form for years to come.
    I've found that polishing the threads on each spark plug with a wire wheel prevents 90% of the thread galling that would otherwise occur(greased or not)
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

dumb question: did you post pictures of two different ZX2s?

also, is that electrical tape wrapped around your brake line?
      sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
      92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Actually, yeah that does look like two different zx2's; oops.... looks like that zx2 s/r was a 2000
        And yeah, that is some temporary electrical tape where the pvc got messed up
        Last edited by 1LordAnubis; 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
          i would advise you to never use anti seize on the spark plug threads..... or in fact on anything. you can find much better greases that will retain form for years to come.
          I've found that polishing the threads on each spark plug with a wire wheel prevents 90% of the thread galling that would otherwise occur(greased or not)
          Duly noted..... replacing with the BKR5E-11 ngk vpower; according to the FSM: Plug gap: 1.0- 1.1 mm (0.039 - 0.043 in).

Comment

leave the plugs as they come pregapped. NGK has it right on the money
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like 1LordAnubis.

Well, finally had my shifter fall through the floorboard.... due in part to crappy motor mounts of course, and perhaps in part due to the weighted shift knob
              Quickest/cheapest fix I could thing of was drilling a couple of holes and running a coathangar though.... I also cut some tire bead off/stabled it together so I had a new factory like rubber tab then jpwelded it

imgur is pretty convenient for uploading/autoscaling imgs...
              s = Small Square (90×90)
              b = Big Square (160×160)
              t = Small Thumbnail (160×160)
              m = Medium Thumbnail (320×320)
              l = Large Thumbnail (640×640)
              h = Huge Thumbnail (1024×1024)

eg you just add a m to the end of http://imgur.com/CT5a37l.jpg so it's http://imgur.com/CT5a37lm.jpg

It's kind of hard to see from the images what holds the shifter up so I'll probably upload a vid
              Last edited by 1LordAnubis; 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

So, alternator belt squeaks.... went to replace the belt and voila new belt starts smoking after less than a minute.... *really hot*....

Turns out that the alternator pulley part of the crankshaft pulley was freespinning..... This is my dd, I didn't take pics, had to get it in order as quick as possible but suffice it to say don't run a misaligned alternator
                The problem stemmed from when I purchased the car 5 years ago... had the alternator pivot bolt fall out when driving down the interstate.... the threads that the pivot bolt hang on to and pull the alternator to that bracket were gone, I rammed in a hardware store bolt/nut.... wasn't as tight as it should have been and think it may have been a bit misaligned.... looks like it took 5 years to shear off the crankshaft pulley

This is a big nosed crank, and luckily the crank pulley was still tight as a mofo.... That being said it did still damage the keyway a bit... I put on some loctite 660 when i replaced the crank pulley w/ one from a 94 from the p&p... replaced the alternator w/ one from the p&p w/ the proper bolt, and a new mazda crank bolt lathered in loctite..... took using the electric impact for a solid minute to get that bolt off, put it back on @ 122 ft lbs

For the past year the belt squeaked at startup, the pulley i assume slipping more and more... and you could see the pulley wobbling.... sometimes you'd notice a bit of a wobble, sometimes it went away.... most of the time you didn't see any wobble.... the slippage got worse this past month to the point of not getting power /spinning the alternator enough

Got one of those Krikit v-belt gauges from gates to properly set the belt tension rather than using just my finger.... I believe it's at 80 lbs tension currently.... definitely tighter than i used to set it...

If I'd ran it like that on a short nose crank I think the motor would be finished right now... like I said that crank bolt was still tight but there was a bit of keyway damage. The key was fine toward the passenger side of the car, but as you got further toward the motor it widened a bit, it remained flat toward the front end of the car, but toward the firewall is where it wore a bit.... not much, I don't think it'll hurt anything but it's definitely visible

Oh yeah, I figured that out 2 days after someone stole the license plate off the back of my protege in broad daylight
                and for the record license plate bolts for our vehicles can be had at lowes w/ the automotive bolts/fasteners.... m6x1.0 25mm w/ a 10mm hex head (mazda/kia/toyota)
                my old ones were philips & rusty.... don't think i want a philips head on it anymore
                Last edited by 1LordAnubis; 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

im impressed that you managed to destroy an OEM crank pulley!! job well done sir!

Comment

Working...
                  X