GTX fix up, on a budget with some unique twists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neat update!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
      humm... interesting idea on the short throw... I'll see how things go.. My time line is kinda short so I don't think I can go back now.. Might be an idea for when I do the BPT swap I have for the car..
      I've done it to 3 different cars one with a BG shifter even. 1" added to the length of the two things that hang below the big ball on the lever cutting and welding involved and 1" spacers and longer bolts to shift the big ball cup part on the base up 1" Pretty easy to do. shift feel is improved immensely and it gets the knob closer to the steering wheel as well. quicker more accurate shifts.

Comment

More updates..

I have had issues with my fuel gauge only reading down to 1/4 tank and then stopping... While I had the car apart I figured I would pull the sending units out and test them.. The previous owner told me this issue started after he replaced the fuel tank... I found the secondary sending unit was bad.. Thankfully I had gotten the old tank from the previous owner... The secondary sending unit was good in the old tank..

I also wired in an accessory relay to power up an extra fuse box.. This is going to be used down the road for rally lights and other additions I have planned...

Mounting my amp was an interesting task... The arm rest in the rear panel protrudes into the cavity I wanted to mount the amp.. This meant I had to play with various spacers to get everything to fit.. Once the amp was in place I didn't have any way to put bolts in it.. So I had to come up with some spacers with nuts welded to them... These spacers were then epoxied to the amp so that I could just feed bolts in and tighten it all up.. While I was at it, I wired in the stereo..

Last thing I worked on was building a new speaker shelf for the rear speakers and rear panels.. I am not sure what was done in the past but a lot of things in the trunk had been ripped apart, lost, missing not put together properly.. I started by putting the rear panel in and measuring things out to create a cardboard template.. After that I test fit, and adjusted where I needed to.. From there I copied it over to some scrap steal I had lying around, and cut it out.. I added a little bit to the edges and bent a lip in to the piece to help strengthen it... I was pretty happy with my self.. I started with nothing and came out with both of these pieces in 3 hours..

Comment

i've read alot about the fuel pump sending units going bad & folks rewinding them with new copper wire. you can always use that alternative if need be.

how are those speaker mounts going to be installed. i can't visualize it atm.

also nice amp placement- clean and very very hidden
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            i've read alot about the fuel pump sending units going bad & folks rewinding them with new copper wire. you can always use that alternative if need be.

how are those speaker mounts going to be installed. i can't visualize it atm.

also nice amp placement- clean and very very hidden
            The speaker mounts are for the back... Picture the rear side panels in the trunk removed... Just above the seat belt.. There is supposed to be a metal bracket in this area that helps secure the top part of the rear panel above the strut tower and behind it... The metal bracket also supports the factory speakers... Well the metal brackets in my car were missing.. Plus the factory stuff is pretty flimsy so I am building something more secure..

Comment

I had thesame problem with my mx3.
              Replaced the sender, problem solved.

Comment

Here you go, one of the rear speaker mounts close to being complete. I just need to figure out how I am going to cut the hole for the speaker. I don't really like the idea of drilling a bunch of holes and then smoothing it out after. I think I am going to go buy a jig saw for the job.

Comment

I love it!!!! wish the BG 323 had speakers mounted like that

Comment

Another twist to this..use the same part from the 86-89 Merc Tracer and then you can use a 6" speaker... Although you will lose the rear shoulder belt due to mounting interference, but you would still have the lap belt.

Comment

I love it!!!! wish the BG 323 had speakers mounted like that
                      ???? Thats the factory location for all BG and BF hatch back rear speakers.. From the factory there is supposed to be a metal support brace there that the speakers would get mounted to... The stock brace is pretty flimsy though..

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                      Another twist to this..use the same part from the 86-89 Merc Tracer and then you can use a 6" speaker... Although you will lose the rear shoulder belt due to mounting interference, but you would still have the lap belt.
                      interesting info... I can't afford to loose the belt in the back though with my son sitting back there.. The 4" rounds are about as big as I can make fit..

Comment

BG 323 hatch has the speakers mounted where the amp is in his above photo.... not up by the strut towers where the sound would follow the body lines & or maybe even sound good

Comment

BG 323 hatch has the speakers mounted where the amp is in his above photo.... not up by the strut towers where the sound would follow the body lines & or maybe even sound good

I could have swore when I was doing all the work on the race car that it was wired in the same place for speakers... Maybe I am mistaken then...

Comment

I got both speaker mounts 90% finished.. They just need some paint now..

Comment

Even with the amp being lower cost because of being refurbished I'd be concerned about lack of ventilation to it.

Maybe throw on some extra heat sinks or a small quiet pull fan.

Guess it'd depend on the wattage and class though.
                              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                              Originally posted by HopelessCow
                              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
                                Even with the amp being lower cost because of being refurbished I'd be concerned about lack of ventilation to it.

Maybe throw on some extra heat sinks or a small quiet pull fan.

Guess it'd depend on the wattage and class though.
                                I had that concern when I was looking at where to put it.. talked to a couple friends of mine who specialize more in car audio and we all came to the same conclusion... I am only running 4 four " round 80w speakers... I am not drawing enough juice to be worried..

plus the amp came with the car.. it was originally installed in the trunk under the carpet... it's lasted over 4 years like that.. I think it'll be ok in its new home..

Comment

Working...
                                X