Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MX-3 Road Racing Project; ideas welcome! Help on exhaust setup wanted

Hello everyone

Names Matt, i've been racing an MX3 in the Improved Touring C catagory of SCCA Club Racing for about 3 years now and I wanted to introduce the car and our team here on CP.

The reason I'm posting here is I owuld love to have the support and ideas of the community behind our build. We like the chassis and have had a decent amount of success with it and I thknk CP could really help get this car to the next level

Allright enough babble, I'll get right down to the good stuff;

The car...

Click image for larger version

Name:	10615338_315300618630205_2326915262488205741_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1272092

1992 MX-3 RS in Tropical Emerald Mica

I bought this car in December of 2011. It already had the cage in it but needed A LOT of work to get it reliable. Below is the list of alterations made from a factory MX-3

As of 9/12/14;

Powertrain

Name:	10540404_306114286215505_7568694768068420767_n.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1272093

"stock" B6ME short block

Cylinder head had a valve job in the last calender year

Intake is just an AEM dryflow stuck on the end of the stock B6ME VAF

Exhaust is a factory manifold coated in VHT paint. Has a gutted cat pipe with a factory resonator that runs the full length of the car

Power Steering has been deleted (more on that in the chassis section) A/C was long gone by the time i bought the car

AWR engine mounts (95 duro)

Ignition, and fuel systems are stock with some minor alterations

Cooling system is stock save for a 140 degree thermostat

Stock ECU

Chassis

Name:	10401385_306945586132375_3365845933136915121_n.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1272094

Car is pretty throughly gutted. Still slicing off bits here and there but there's not much left of the interior...

Weight; just over 2000 lbs without driver (our minnumum weight with driver is 2070, we usually cross the scales at just under 2200)

6 point roll cage with "nascar" style door bars in both doors (both doors have been gutted)

K-Sport Version RR Coilovers; 12k (698 lb) Front springs 14K (782 lb) rear springs.

Whiteline 22mm Rear swaybar, stock front bar. Custom heim joint front and rear endlinks.

MX-3 "A-Spec" trailing arms and lateral links (40% higher durometer bushings than factory)

Whiteline poly front control arm bushings

GS rear tie Bar

Pierce Motorsports front tie brace

De-powered GS steering rack

Whiteline front control arm bushings

Factory RS brake package (calipers, rotors, rear drums, etc.)

Cobalt XR3 front pads

Stainless Steel brake and clutch lines w/ ATE DOT 4 fluid

14X6 Kosei Wheels

205/55/14 Hankook or Kumho tire\

We've also done some toher alterations/modifications such as having your front bumper removable by cotter key and come up with our own data AQ. system using an Arduino.

When i say "We" what i mean is my team and myself; run operate under the name Team Effort Motrosports. My team consists of some of my closest friends that are also car nuts and want to help me race.

Name:	10513447_315440765282857_8212352325669202945_n.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1272095

^^^^That's us at Mid Ohio. We have a facebook page you can like if you want to follow us on all of our adventures racing our little MX https://www.facebook.com/teameffortmotorsports

FOR SALE!!!
    Last edited by Frost881; 10-23-2014, 12:34 PM.

I wish i had input towards headers on that motor. But I have nothing.

I love the fact that some people continue to roadrace the chassis. It's a great platform.

Perosnally, I'm curious why you've stuck with that engine? I feel there are so many limitations there. however, if I were in your shoes, it doesn't matter SOOO much for power, but to get better and have a damn good time. (hence why i'm not going to be building my motor really for rally)

Cool stuff. Excited to follow you guys!
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Welcome! I always enjoy seeing these cars being raced. I plan to build one and race it when I move closer to a track.

I was curious about the motor as well. What do the rules in your class say about swapping engines, and also turbocharging? I briefly scanned through them, but didn't have a lot of time to read it.
      Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

Neat MX-3 you've got! Followed you on Facebook. Very cool to see the BG-chassis platform still being raced. You're living what I dream for my Protege.

As far as going beyond the stock tubular manifold, you're looking at some kind of custom job, as there's literally nothing out there for the SOHC B6.
        Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Thanks errybody!

The reason were sticking with the 1.6 SOHC is because Improved Touring is a "stock" based class, where you supposed to compete with a car that has the power train that originally came init and or another model of the car.

For example; we could run with the B6D in ITB or we could even class up to ITA with the K8. We have the pieces and parts to run in ITB if we want to but there's a great class of ITC cars down at Mid Ohio and we like racing with those guys. We haven't ruled out the possibility of an ITB conversion but right now that's not the way were leaning.

And though running with the V6 would be fun, you get punished badly in ITA with weight (2570 lb MINNIMUM -_-)

As far as swaps go there are indeed classes that we could run a BP or BPT in but those are much higher budget and this car, while fun, isn't really nice enough to class up that far. From the drivers perspective i'm learning to race in a momentum car which will pay dividends down the road. Hell some corners at Mid-Oh are flat out for me which is REALLY fun (and REALLY scary). If you cant be fast with 60 HP 600 HP isn't going to help

Here's a video from the beginning of the year when we when back to drivers school at Waterford Hills raceway. This is when we first put the K sport suspension on and used it a s a test and tune http://vimeo.com/93697751
          Last edited by Frost881; 09-12-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Car is now for sale.

Link to CL ad here https://post.craigslist.org/k/dP7EsD...hzr9?s=preview

Comment

Oh thats to bad you've put it up for sale. I was hoping to hear more about the set up and how you guys were doing with it.

Moving on to something else?

Comment

Hopefully another Mazda!
                Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Working...
                X