1991 Protegé: nearing end of its life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 Protegé: nearing end of its life

Hi, all. I'm new to this forum. I have a 1991 Protegé with approximately 85000 miles on it. It is starting to show its age. I'm confident some helpful forum members can perform some critical life support, at least by contributing troubleshooting suggestions.

What are its problems? LX or DX? 85,000 is just getting broken in. Best ideas for initial tune-up are NGK plug wires, NGK spark plugs, new cap & rotor, new fuel filter, and check distributor timing with a timing light. I would also advise changing ball joints and strut mounts (and struts if they're blown).

Comment

85,000 miles? Mine's near 228k and just won't stop. It'll be fiiiiiiine.
      '94 Protegé DX

Comment

Thanks for chiming in, guys; I appreciate it. As for my issue, I started a new thread specific to it. Here is the link: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...k-no-anything!

(As for why I posted this original thread, I thought I simply introduce my non-robotic self... as per the welcome message from the Sys.Admin.)

Comment

Welcome!

There's good info in your other thread. The car's not even close to the end of it's life, so don't give up. I've got 150k on mine and it still spins like a top.
          Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGreenBG View Post
            Welcome!

There's good info in your other thread. The car's not even close to the end of it's life, so don't give up. I've got 150k on mine and it still spins like a top.
            I'm sure you're right, ThatGreenBG, but the body is rusting a little too much. That's why I'm suggesting "end of life." Plus, I haven't the space anymore to keep it around much longer. I'm hoping to get 'er started, so I can move it out of the garage and then *possibly* sell it.

Comment

Hi All,
              I'm new as well to this forum. I have a 2001 Protege which I gave to my son. Unfortunately, he ran it into a PT Cruiser and munched the front. It had 135K and was running great. Now I'm looking for options. The front is tweaked and not worth fixing, so I'll either be looking for a 2001 with a good front end to rebuild with my son's(excellent engine, interior, body panels, etc.) or I'll be looking to get rid of this Protege(look for new Classified if you are in the market for 2001 Protege parts.)

J

Comment

Working...
              X