no start, no crank, no anything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start, no crank, no anything!

This 1991 Protegé (mileage 85,000 miles / 140,000 km) wasn't used for about 3 months, and now, it won't start. The battery (NOT orginal) probably drained. The battery shows only 5V across the terminals, so I tried jumpstarting it, but nothing happened. (Not even the dome light turns on; no accessories at all).

I called AAA (CAA), and they used a portable battery to jumpstart it, but nothing happened. Analysis of the battery showed 475 CCA on the battery, which according to the technician *should* be enough to try to turn the crank. He suggested something else is wrong.
    I'm afraid that simply buying a new battery won't solve the problem.

Usually, when there is starter failure, you would normally hear a click, but this car does NOTHING... which suggests, unless I'm mistaken, that there is an electrical problem, other than the battery.

An examination under the hood reveals nothing obvious to a non-mechanic. Looking at the fuse box under the hood, however, reveals one blown fuse. Please see pics attached and help me identify what this fuse is for (the third from the left, across the top row), what the fuse specification is, and whether it is critical for starting the car. I haven't been able to find a fuse box diagram that helps me.

I would have had the car towed to a mechanic, but the problem is that it is currently parked in an underground parking garage, and the entrance gate is NOT tall enough to allow a tow truck to enter.
    Attached Files

Not sure on what fuse it is but it is likely the cause. Probably will not need a mechanic.
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

That is the main fuse. It's rated at 80 amps. Everything has to pass through it. Check your starter connections for a short, and replace that fuse.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

me109, thanks for helping. I was afraid of that fuse being critical. As it turns out, I can't even pull it out, as it seems to have melted to join the fusebox. Any suggestions? Will I have to replace the whole fusebox?

Comment

It is held on by one or two nuts that you can't see until you pull the box out.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
            It is held on by one or two nuts that you can't see until you pull the box out.
            1. Is there a technique to pulling out whole the fuse box? It's not clearly obvious (to me, at least, one who does not spend enough time with his head under the hood).

2. How much should a replacement main (80A) fuse cost, roughly?

3. Where is the starter located in a '91 Protegé?
            Last edited by ssturbo; 09-16-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

that fuse looks like it was soldered together.

fuses can be bought at your local part store for a few dollars a piece. If your fuse looks like that I HIGHLY encourage buying a couple. This fuse does not usually blow unless there are other problems in the wiring.
              Have you found any signs of mice activity??

2 10mm bolts hold it in place(both the box & the fuse) for a grand total of 4 10mm nut/botls
              replacement is exceptionally easy so your in luck there.

These pictures should help guide you.
              the second 10mm bolt is hidden behind a plastic flap on the back side of the fuse box you'll see it once you remove the box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6693.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1238938

Name:	100_6694.JPG
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	1238939

Name:	100_6695.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1238940
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                that fuse looks like it was soldered together.

fuses can be bought at your local part store for a few dollars a piece. If your fuse looks like that I HIGHLY encourage buying a couple. This fuse does not usually blow unless there are other problems in the wiring.
                Have you found any signs of mice activity??
                Progress! Thank you so much, FE3-323! Your guidance ever so helpful in removing what was left of the main fuse. Easy enough to remove, but I'm not sure I would have known to check for that bolt behind that plastic flap, had you not told me to.

Looking under the car, I see some spider webs. I'm pretty sure there aren't mice in this relatively busy parking garage, but it's not impossible. Wiring near the fuse box appears to be intact (no mice activity). Where else should I check, exactly?

I hope to find a replacement fuse today, and before installing, I hope to check the starter connections. To do that, do I need to get under the car?
                Last edited by ssturbo; 09-17-2014, 01:43 AM.

Comment

eh jsut throw in the fuse & see what happens :D
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Look for shorts near the 'big three' electrical devices. That's starter, battery, alternator. Also, if it has some kind of aftermarket amp or other user installed device, disconnect that just to be safe.
                    1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                      eh just throw in the fuse & see what happens :D
                      So, I threw in the fuse, and....
                      still, nothing happens.
                      With a new 80A main fuse, I still don't get any electrical signal whatsoever. Turning on any accessory does nothing, turning the ignition produces no other noise or activity.

The voltage across the battery terminals is only 4V, but should not yield being able to turn on the dome light or the radio or something insignificant?

Any suggestions on what to troubleshoot next?

Comment

4v is really too low to do anything.
                        the interior fuse panel has an engine fuse too. double check all interior fuses as well.

you might consider a new battery

Comment

You might consider stepping up to a 9-volt battery.
                          1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Comment

Update: I purchased a brand new battery and replaced the dead one. She starts! [In hindsight, I should have looked for a used one to save a couple of bucks. However, I was afraid of the problem being more severe, and I wanted to eliminate the battery as an issue.] Thank you very much to me109 and FE3-323; you were extremely helpful, and I am grateful.

Comment

glad to help!!

Comment

Working...
                              X