Factroy "Hard Suspension" differences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factroy "Hard Suspension" differences.

Today I determined the current suspension related problem my car has, the rear right front control arm bushing is pretty much destroyed in one section.

In looking to replace it I found that no OEM like supplier makes them for the "hard suspension" optioned cars. Mazda only sells the entire bushing assembly for~$90 each side. That's honestly not bad but I don't need the metal housing so it would be a waste.

I don't know what the actual difference is between the two options, but I do know the control arm itself is a different part number which makes me think more than just the durometer of the bushing is different. Perhaps the shaft that goes in the bushing is a different size? Or even the length of the bushing itself could be different.The rear most washer changes
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CB56921.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1272153

Has anyone compared the two side by side?
    I'm still leaning on the energy suspension kit linked below,

But I'd rather have confidence in everything being a bolt on affair.
    I don't have the option of a multi-day install at present.

And as a reminder I have a very late vin 94. As mazda seems to of hodgepodge the cars suspension every few years.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Well I'm answering my own question again.

The ES bushings are 36mm and the bushing it's replacing is at least a 39mm.
    I say at least because I didn't clean the remnants of the old rubber bushing out of the shell because I could already slide the new one in by hand and Id rather have some extra material so it's not flopping around even more so.

I packed it full of grease and managed to get it drive-able. I'll be ordering a replacement rear bushing assembly from Napa tomorrow, I hope they have one on island.

I'm going to contact ES and try and get some proper bushings, orther wise I'll just get another new assembly for the other side and use them instead of my over-sized ones.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Are these on mx3 control arms? I ordered ES bushings for my mx3, and their OD was too small. I ended up having to use the metal housings from a zx2 to make them work.

Comment

Nope,everything is definitely stock by the age/shape of it. I don't know the difference between base model protege,LX hard, and MX3 control arms so they may have more in common with the mx3 ones.
        The ID of the sleeve that goes in the bushing that the control arm rotates in was the same size, which is what I though was going to be the actual problem before getting started. It would of been easier had it been.

The zx2 housing are suppose to be larger ~39-40mm as well, maybe that's just part of the add-on that most dealers didn't do.

I ordered the only aftermarket bushings I could from napa today, they were ~$20 for each side, I'll replace the "JDM TYTE DYNAMIC CASTER AND TOE" bushing when they come in and see if I can get a larger bushing from ES. If not I'll ruin the new assembles, what a waste.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Once again I have an issue where no one else did.

I was using the stock dished metal washer+rubber washer as that what I had seen in other peoples installed pictures.

BACK STORY{you can skip}

I had an intermittent issue where the car would just plow for no reason in turns. For example coming off the H1 here going to base is a nice subtle S-turn. I take this at mainland highway speeds, about one in three times under similar road conditions the tires would squeal doing this and I would have to back off. This made no sense to me. It also made my tantalus runs FAR more exciting. Replacing my rear mount last week I noticed the front control arm bushings was ~1.5m out of its housing one each side(they weren't the same amount out) upon inspecting the rear bushing was jammed very far into the dished washer. What I approximate happened was under cyclical load the rear bushings was pushing against the coned washer and through voodoo magic forced the front bushing out of it's home. Also the rear spring washer was completely compressed, which it wasn't when I wrapped up the bushing install. I did not have the time to work on it last weak so I just drove like a sane person. Upon removing the sway bar and ball joint the arms were very difficult to move.

SKIP TO HERE

If you have a 94lx with the hard suspension package and the big ass rear control arm bushings your **** should look like this if you replace the bushings.

*edit*
          To note I don't recall the exact directions in the bushing box but it basically said "use the washers provided, maybe."
          Last edited by Kitty; 02-09-2015, 11:39 PM.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
          X