Cooling fan on constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling fan on constantly

Hi Guys, as the title says i have a 1989 mazda 323 1.8 bp (precat version) and the cooling fan is on all the time. if i unplug the sensor it stays on still but if i disconnect the earth (black and green wire) from next to it the fan cuts out. when i put the multimeter between the black and green wire and an earth its reading 12v. what could this be?

It sounds like your fan switch has gone bad. It shuts off when you unplug the black/green wire because you have broken the circuit. I recommend replacing the fan switch (on the thermostat housing if it's a BP).

Comment

Originally posted by redheddude222 View Post
      It sounds like your fan switch has gone bad. It shuts off when you unplug the black/green wire because you have broken the circuit. I recommend replacing the fan switch (on the thermostat housing if it's a BP).
      Yeah it is a BP. in the plug for the switch there are 2 pins. i have bridged the terminals with abit of wire and the fan still stays on. if i take the plug off the switch it still runs until i remove the black and green wire. really stuck now.......

Comment

The thermo switch is only one wire. The thermo switch completes the ground for the circut, be happy yours broke the way it did.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

My thermoswitch went bad last winter, so I jumpered the fan and ground in the diagnostic block to limp (fan on all the time), then I just ground the thermoswitch wire. Perhaps I am obtuse but I really didn't see the harm in the fan being on all the time. Takes a little longer to warm up, I guess but it hasn't been problematic.

Comment

I run with my fan on at all times. Overtime I ever think about it is when I'm coming down the mountain, and the temp gauge suddenly drops all the way to the cool. You know, going down hill at 70mph and the fan always on. (no throttle, just coasting really)
            1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
            Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
            "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

yeah, I have mine just wired to the negative terminal on the battery in my wagon til I get around to replacing the thermoswitch. if the car's on, the fan's on. who cares.
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Mine has been on for the last seven years. I haven't noticed any drawbacks to leaving it that way. With the OEM dual valve thermostat, I don't have any temperature anomolies at all. It quickly warms up, then holds rock steady at operating temperature all day long.
                1990 Protege 4WD
                GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Ok i see your point guys. which one is the fan switch there are two sensors in the thermo housing. can anyone post a pic?

Comment

Can you post a picture? I'm pretty sure I only have one thing on my thermostat housing.
                    1990 Protege 4WD
                    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                    ├┼┤
                    2 4 R

Comment

There is only one, one wire sensor in the thermo housing and that's the fan switch.

The other single wire sensor is closer to the header and is for the gauge cluster.

The two wired green plug is for the ecu, the latter two screw into the head not the thermostat housing.
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

And there may be one or two more in the upper tank of the radiator. One of these is for the AT somehow, if equipped, and the other is a mystery to me. I never found out what it's supposed to do.

The one you're after is the single-wire switch in the thermostat housing.
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

The a/t radiator temp sensor turns off the A/C compressor if it gets too hot.
                          It may also adjust the fan speed on the dual speed fans.
                          Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Oh, that's it. Thanks Kitty. I didn't know about the AC compressor shutdown sensor. That's all five accounted for.
                            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	1239024

Comment

Working...