Exnay A/C & Cruise? *shrug* Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exnay A/C & Cruise? *shrug* Maybe?

Let's say, I decided to remove Cruise Control as well as Air Conditioning from the EGT.

What am I looking to remove and replace?
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

are you doing this for weight savings or something? if so, leave the cruise.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

It's spelled ixnay, I was confused.

A/c removal is a bitch it you do it proper example removing the evaporator, plugging the holes, and or sourcing the non-evaporator housing/piping.

The cruise would be easy to remove,removing the line going to the gas pedal would be the hardest part.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

yeah, but like not having cruise control is for ****ing peasants and even if you take all the components out it'll save you what, a pound? maybe?
        sigpic

Comment

First off you're gonna want to drain the A/C refrigerant, either shove a screwdriver in under the cap and go for a walk or take it to a shop that will remove it properly, I'm not the environmental police, just know what you're releasing isn't particularly good. I'm not 100 percent sure but if it;s similar to my MX3(which i think it is) then you can unbolt the AC compressor from the block and remove the two fittings that go to the firewall on the side of the glove compartment as well as remove the fittings from the compressor. Then it's just a matter of fighting with the AC lines to extract them or just cut them and pull them out in a bunch of different pieces.

Then you'd need to pull your glove compartment out and remove the AC Airbox thing directly behind it, its what the fittings you removed from the firewall side are attached to. Should be a few 10mm nuts or bolts and then it should come free easily. You would need to get a replacement part from the same car without A/C, it will resemble a duct and doesn't bolt in but rather clips in to place.

IIRC it saved me 40lbs on my MX3, a negligible amount for what I was using it for but my DP would not have cleared so it is what it is.

And I'm with Atomic, cruise control is the ****ing tits.

Comment

My Protege could be a fully gutted/caged track car, and it would still have cruise control. Don't rob yourself for a couple of pounds.
            Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Vent t r134 all you want, **** them for forcing a switch to an inferior refrigerant that causes compressors to **** themselves all the while still being environmentally unfriendly.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I gotta figure out if there's a way to add cruise to the miserable Nissan.

baby turbo and cruise usually sucks but w/e
                sigpic

Comment

Actually, I considered yanking it just to free up space. I'm not aiming for any weight savings.

Cruise is NICE for my regular 8+ hr drives, but it hasn't worked since I've had the car. (hopefully will change when I replace the turn signal switch unit)

But yeah, just to free up room under the hood. Easier to work in their if things were removed. That's all. Still not 100% settled on removing them, just tossing the idea around.
                  1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                  "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

I don't even remember where the cruise **** is... over on the passenger strut tower by the coolant overflow, right? I'm not sure what it would be in the way of but it's only like two or three bolts on the bracket and then you can just lay it out of the way...
                    sigpic

Comment

My cruise control stuff has never been in my way while working on anything. Not yet, anyway.
                      Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Right on. This is good to hear. For now, I'll plan on keeping things the way they are. Just relocate the Cruise Controls...

Actually, it's possible to make this work, to at least toggle cruise, ya think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqN,!n0E9cvcZrbVBPf4hk8V)Q~~60_57.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1239037

Comment

Would be cool if you could have the system "always on" and just have that switch work what the steering wheel buttons would. That would you open up for aftermarket wheels, if you don't already have one. I've been pondering how to make my CC work with an aftermarket wheel, for the future. The OEM's got some twisty grip on the top.
                          Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

I dunno about using the factory system, but I remember my AE86 had a dealer-installed optional cruise setup that was all contained in a little box mounted on the dash to the side of the steering column- I was thinking of using something similar for the 240...
                            sigpic

Comment

I disconnected the cruise on my LX years ago when I did the swap. I just never got around to hooking it up again.
                              1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                              1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                              2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                              1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Working...
                              X