radio not working; "door ajar" light not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio not working; "door ajar" light not working

In my '91 Protegé LX (actually, it used to be my father's car; I haven't driven it much recently), I have recently replaced the battery, and everything is working electrically (power sunroof/mirrors, etc.) , EXCEPT for the radio and the "door ajar" dome light.

Upon replacing the fuse for the radio, it still does not turn on. I don't know how to troubleshoot this further. The radio (with cassette deck) HAS worked in the past.

Interestingly, the dome light does turn on upon turning the switch to ON, but not when the door is ajar and when the switch is in the middle (door ajar) setting.

Is there a loose wire somewhere? Are these two items on the same circuit? Looking at the wiring under the steering wheel and above the foot pedals, everything appears to be intact (at least to my untrained eye). Which wire to examine?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, all.

I don't think they are be related.

Can't help much with the radio, but if you pop the cover off the dome light you should see some screws and bulbs and metal contacts. You can try spraying some kind of contact cleaning solvent in there. That might work. More likely you will have to remove and unplug the light fixture and clean it manually. I think the problem is there rather than the wiring. Those contacts tend to corrode after years of exposure to humidity.

Welcome to the forum. I hope this helps and you can find an answer to your radio problem.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
    X