I'm back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back!

A friend of mine from the festiva forums happened to know someone with an AWD protege in Virginia.

None of the rot issues my old one had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10644303_10152846186063421_5424997138867848410_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	1272189

She's Dirty, but pretty clean!
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

What a random, happy occurrence. Thanks for sharing.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

so? how much, is it a runner, all that!
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Welcome back now on to mods
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

sweet score, looks pretty straight from the picture

NW MAZDAS

Comment

$1200, it sat for a year and a half so it's dirty. Brakes are sticky but I have lifetime calipers from AZ that I will be swapping out with. Car has a couple chewed wires for the HVAC controls and wipers. The interior will need attention, typical southern interior has cracking and what not. I'll be on the hunt for either MX-3 seats (fixed back) or Canadian GT interior.

The car runs and moves under it's own power but with the brakes and old fluids I will be trailering it home. It's in Virginia now so there really isn't any rot in it.

Drivetrain I'm debating purchasing a GTR setup off ebay and driving it that way for as long as it holds up. I would be getting a miata VLSD for the rear end if I go that route too. Unless I can find a GTX or GTR Transmission for a reasonable price, then I will build a BP with the 4W head and forged internals and slap my Holset HX35 on there.

I have to wait until the new year to go get it, pretty much out of vacation days, but for now it's safe and sound at my buddy's house.

He sent me a ton of pics, I will have to upload them to photobucket later and put them up here. If I was really crazy I'd contemplate doing a RWD or Subaru Based AWD setup with a Rotary. Still tossing that idea around... I've been known to be crazy.
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

You could look into doing the Rav4 drivetrain swap. It's not as strong as the Celica swap, but its stronger than the gtx/gtr setup and the gear ratio are close to gtx/gtr ratio and no cutting of chassis leg required.

This Facebook group might interest you as its dedicated to the BG Mazda chassis Toyota gearbox conversions.

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/803110999707450/
              Last edited by mazkam; 11-21-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hmm... interesting. I may have to look into that. If I go that route I know where I can get a core BP to build up.
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Get in touch with Ben Townrow on the facebook group I mentioned or you can get in touch directly through facebook. He's the person who informed me about the Rav4 setup as he's done quite a few Rav4 swaps, Celica & Caldina GTT gearbox to Mazda engine swap in Australia.

Here is a picture of his BG GTX sedan that he did the Rav4 drivetrain swap in.

Comment

^
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well I'll have to look into the RAV 4 prices vs. GTR stuff. I've been thinking a GTR drivetrain swap.

Pics from the seller:

1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Looks like I have a little wiring, a lot of detailing, and some paint to clean and buff. I'm hopefully picking the car up after the new year.
                          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

What happened to your wires? That's awful.
                            1990 Protege 4WD
                            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

mice...
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X