Help removing and replacing a Harmonic Balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help removing and replacing a Harmonic Balancer

Hi guys, First post here. I've seen some posts on this previously but not quite what i'm looking for.
    Car was making a nasty noise and found that only three of four bolts were in the balancer. When I went to take one out for the size two of them snapped right off.
    This is a GTX rallycar with the 1.8 in it.
    So i'm down to one. I've gotten the bolt out and the balancer off but it looks like the key(?) was left in.
    Any ideas? Thoughts? Advise? Suggestions? I know I probably need to drill out the bolts but would be your next step(s)?

Thanks so much!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheared.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1272196
    Click image for larger version

Name:	balancer no middle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1272197

You're going to have to drill those bolts out the way it stands as it's still threaded into the timing cog.

Has some one modded that crank pulley? It looks like they threw a different bolt pattern one on and drilled it to fit.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Ya i just looked at some other examples and they definitely do not look the same... the car is a hodge podge to say the least. Fun! but in these cases frustrating. Out of pessimistic planning - if I screw up the extraction of the three screws what are my options?

Comment

Unfortunately you're working on pricier engine parts, the crank pulley is usually ~100 used (probably why yours was whatever the guy had lying around)and I don't see the timing cog and the metal gaskets used very often. The 10mm bolts are like $10 a piece too, and you need to use OEM grade.

A U-pull BP motor with the same crank nose you have is going to be your best sub $300 option. If that's not an option I'd consider getting a short/long block on the cheap if you have the storage for it.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

honestly i would reccomend you weld those bolts to the crank pulley itself. that would give you the leverage to pull it off.
          you can source that part just about anywhere. even from the dealer.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
          X